free website stats program changing cam tensioners out to the hydraulic set up | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

changing cam tensioners out to the hydraulic set up

Thanks for the recommendation Sanec, he could make a trip out as a holiday or I could go out to Cape Breton. Caper that kit from Herko includes everything except the beer. There is red and blue Loctite, all gaskets and "O" rings, shims, everything needed to do the job.

Where can one find these "Herko" kits? Is there a website or something

Bodeen

Where can one find these "Herko" kits? Is there a website or something

Bodeen
you can contact him from here.
Home

Thanks for the recommendation Sanec, he could make a trip out as a holiday or I could go out to Cape Breton. Caper that kit from Herko includes everything except the beer. There is red and blue Loctite, all gaskets and "O" rings, shims, everything needed to do the job.

Heh...Got the beer already:D.

Last edited by a moderator:
my 01 was done big change, pulls strong tensioners were bad at 11k seems beefy and easier to ride,has accels slm computer with 02 sensor and cams , thinking head work may make it even better, did not want the gear drive which is good, dont like noise . i am thinking parts on the road would be easy to get for the conversion mad brad :bigsmiley22:

Last edited:
As for the cams it depends on what your looking for. I'd offer this though, if you ride a lot going to a hot setup is probably a mistake as it will most likly shorten the life of your motor.

Well i had the work done on my RKC. Went with the hyd. cam tensioner set up and went ahead and had them put in some SE211 cams. the dyno came out at right 70 horse power and 79 on the torque. I guess i was hoping for a little more of both. My gas mileage went down to about 130 miles per tank. i do notice a little more power and im pleased with the results as i got my old parts back and i probably could not have gotten another 1000 miles out of the old cam tensioners. thanks for the help guys

I would say that if you are only getting 130 miles to a tank of fuel something is not good. With my Andrews 26 cams and other work I run 180 or better and I haven't gone on reserve yet. My buddies R/K with a 95" s/e and cams runs about the same as me on a trip. I think that your map is way to rich

Mad Brad, how is that SLM working out? How does it compare to a PC 111? I saw an add for it in a magazine but have been unable to find any info on exactly what it is and how it works. Does it piggy back the ECU or replace it?

i have a 05 RKC with 83,800 miles on it and have been extreamly lucky as my cam tensioners have not gone out, but after reading all these stories about them going out, ive decided to get mine changed out and decided to go with the Hydrulic set up. Im also thinking about putting in some new cams but not sure which ones to go to. is it worth changing out the cams and not doing any thing else to the motor. what cams would you recomend? If any one in the Houston area know of a good reliable shop to get this done, would be much appreciated. As of now im going with Stubbs H.D.. As for the oil, ive always used Syn. oil Started out using H.D. oil but changed to Amisol and then mobil V1 Oil all the way thru. thanks for your input
I had a Andrews 26G on my 02 (Carb) FLTR and loved it. The cam pushed the Torque Curve right up where I needed it. Instead of having to kick down a gear at 70mph to pass someone, all ya had to do was twist the grip and hold on. The gear drive is nice cuz ya don't have ta worry about those tenioners anymore. My only complaint was that I picked up a little more lifter noise but my mechanic said it was the sharp profile on the cam lobe and wouldn't hurt anything. Other mods were a Thunder slide kit, Thunder Header 2 into 1 and a SE ignition modual (6300 rpm). Good luck!

Forgive me if I missed this in all the post on this subject. Is this an all day Saturday Job or an all weekend job say Friday night thru time to go back to work on Monday? Herko kit in an '05 FXSTI 26N cams and adjustable pushrods, the typical kit according to Herko.

Thanks

Back