free website stats program Changing belt & pulley sizes | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing belt & pulley sizes

90springer

I have a 90FX Springer, stock, with just under 76k miles on it. The belt is still origional. I have been told that I should change it soon to avoid getting stranded someday... The belt looks to be in good shape, but it is after all 21 yrs old.
I ride about 10k miles a year, back & forth to work, (90 miles/day, mostly highway). Some pleasure cruising, all my buds have bigger motors & 6 spds.

When I change the belt, I am thinking of changing the front pulley from a 32t to a 34t and the rear pulley from a 70t to a 65t... I believe I also have to go from a 132t belt to a 130t belt...

Here's the Questions:
1.) Is my info correct for belt size for these pulleys???

2.) Is it worth it??? The bike as is, begins to really transmit the vib. through handlebars & footpegs @ 70+mph.. I like to cruise @ 75 on the highway
I am hoping to be able to putt @ 75 w/less vib. afterwards...

3.) Has anybody done this?? And are you happy with the results or was there just too much of a loss of acceleration????... I have a stock motor with an S&S E carb, with a 2 into one cycle shack pipe... I don't jump on the throttle too often but I do still want it to go when I want it/need it!!!

I'm new to the forum, any helpful input will be greatly appreciated...

Thanx, Scott

I have a 90FX Springer, stock, with just under 76k miles on it. The belt is still origional. I have been told that I should change it soon to avoid getting stranded someday... The belt looks to be in good shape, but it is after all 21 yrs old.
I ride about 10k miles a year, back & forth to work, (90 miles/day, mostly highway). Some pleasure cruising, all my buds have bigger motors & 6 spds.

When I change the belt, I am thinking of changing the front pulley from a 32t to a 34t and the rear pulley from a 70t to a 65t... I believe I also have to go from a 132t belt to a 130t belt...

Here's the Questions:
1.) Is my info correct for belt size for these pulleys???

2.) Is it worth it??? The bike as is, begins to really transmit the vib. through handlebars & footpegs @ 70+mph.. I like to cruise @ 75 on the highway
I am hoping to be able to putt @ 75 w/less vib. afterwards...

3.) Has anybody done this?? And are you happy with the results or was there just too much of a loss of acceleration????... I have a stock motor with an S&S E carb, with a 2 into one cycle shack pipe... I don't jump on the throttle too often but I do still want it to go when I want it/need it!!!

I'm new to the forum, any helpful input will be greatly appreciated...

Thanx, Scott

Welcome to The Forum and your first post, you can go with those changes but still expect vibrations, nature of the beast on Evo softails with out counter balancers JMO

Welcome to The Forum and your first post, you can go with those changes but still expect vibrations, nature of the beast on Evo softails with out counter balancers JMO

Thanks for the welcome!
I realize the vibes are there to stay, solid mount motor and all, just hoping the lower engine rpm will be just enough to let me cruise a little faster in the comfort zone, without totally killing the acceleration...

I have an back problem that flares up on long days in the saddle...
Just trying to maximize saddle time without breaking the bank...$$$

Maybe a more comfortable seat, and handgrips might help. Last year, I took a 4000 mile round trip and learned that a particular pair of shoes was no good for riding. For some reason, they transmitted so much vibration up into my legs, they are no good for riding more then an hour or so.
Not saying to scrap the whole belt and pulley idea, but maybe there are other things you can do that won't take as much effort. Also, if the belt is in good shape, take your time and see whats best. If you go too drastic with pulley changes, you might really regret that as you might all but kill your low end, especially if your going to do any two-up with even a lttle bit of luggage. Let us know how it works out!!

You are right, both my grips and the pegs are ready for replacement...
The seat is a mustang and very comfortable! I was hoping to do the pulley thing in the week or two before the mercury starts to show her riding color!
Again you are right, I don't want to do something that takes that much work, and then end up with a dog...

If it's a FX Springer, isn't it rubber mounted motor, maybe time for new motor mounts, rubber gets old it gets hard and cracks. Just a thought.

kuryakyn iso pegs and grips are designed to reudce vibration to the hands and feet and do help i have them fitted to all 3 bikes
however they dont help the blur in the mirrors but new riser bushings may help a wee bit

Brian

kuryakyn iso pegs and grips are designed to reudce vibration to the hands and feet and do help i have them fitted to all 3 bikes
however they dont help the blur in the mirrors but new riser bushings may help a wee bit

Brian

Thanx Brian,
I will definitely check those out! I have a special set of straight bars made by badlands... The risers/bars are one pc. They are only about 4 yrs old...
I would hope the risers aren't shot yet!

Back