free website stats program Changing Air Filters in 2014 Heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Air Filters in 2014 Heritage

pdh62

Doing some of the work myself on the 5000 miles maint on my 14 Heritage
Took out the air filter and cleaned it per manual instructions and installed it back on the bike. Torqued the bracket screws at 108 in.lbs and the cover at 37 in lbs.
For peace of mind after drying the filter with air and hair dyer....I decided to take the filter back out so it could air dry through the night.
This is what the filter looked like after I took it back out.........

On the side where the bracket screws on... the bracket dented it and on the back side the hole that goes in the engine is deformed..
Got a new one from the dealer today and again installed it by what the manual says at 108 in lb on the bracket screws...and it turned out the same way as the old one...

Is the torque spec to high???
Is this typical on how a used air filter looks like ???

yeah I reinstalled the new one and just snugged up the bracket screws this time......now to get another filter..
Thanks Jeff....

I never get crazy with the torque on items like that. I use either a dap of clear RTV, or the blue Loctite. Rule of thumb for me on those is no more than what you think a gallon of milk feels like picking it up. The RTV, or the blue Loctite will keep the screws from backing out and they'll come out easily the next time. Unless you have an expensive calibrated torque wrench, the one you have may be meant for higher values and work so well on the lower end. Also, when storing your torque wrenches, make sure to unload all the tension first. Kinda like a pistol magazine, if it's really stiff you load it and leave. The spring will relax, right?

Back