free website stats program Changed rear tire........ | Harley Davidson Forums

Changed rear tire........

After changing the rear tire, I need to know how to align the rear wheel now. The shop manual is terrible. Any help/pointers.

Springer, newly acquired. I've changed the Ultra tire about 7 times, piece of cake !
Springer doesn't have the self adjuster. Shop manual is terrible with it's instructions.
I just think there should be a more exact way to make it equidistance. How easy is it to misread the tape measure to the tune of the 1/32 " they say you need to be within? I'm a tool and die maker by trade, so I want it exact, but this may not be possible???

I'm anal about cleaning everything. Besides, I'll end up with it in better line than it came from the factory, once I get it done.

To align the rear tire I used a set of calipers and measured from the rear axial nut to the frame where the jam nut tightens up. I went to the self help spot and I will make the jig with the O rings to measure to the swing are bolt to the axial nut.
Excuse My spelling but I'm slightly "Dislexic".
F.K.

have someone in machine shop turn you 2 pins,1 to fit hole in swingarm & 1 to fit hole in axle. drill.187 hole 90 degrees through pins, connect pins with a .187 rod . have a setscrew in the end of pins to tighten down on rod. put 1 pin in axle hole & 1 pin in swingarm & tighten setscrews then check other side. you can even check the distance the rod sticks out from the side of the pin with dial calipers. compare 1 side to the other.

Back