free website stats program Changed rear tire, no brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

Changed rear tire, no brakes

farl

It was about time for a rear tire, so I put my bike(2006 1200XL) up on the jack. Rear wheel assy came off without any problems. Changed the tire and cleaned everything up. Spread the pads a little bit to make it easier to get back together. Let it down off the jack, pumped the brakes a couple of times, no brakes. Now, I didn't take any of the brakes system apart. Checked the resevoir, full. Worked the brakes some more, nothing. Acted just like there was no fluid. So I figured what the (edit) I will try to bleed the system. I about half the fluid out, refilled it and started again. After about the second or third time,I got brakes. I never got any air, only clean fluid. Any ideas?

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been riding and repairing my own bikes for almost fifty years, auto and truck mechanic for 45 years. This system was not opened up and had perfect brakes before. The brake was worked about 20 to 30 times before I started bleeding the system.The bike only has about 9000 miles on it. My concern is that I may have a bad cylinder, but I have had no problems with the brakes until now.

When you opened up the pads a bit you basically retracted the pistons back into their bores, possibly carrying some dirt and debris back in gumming up the works a bit. Also you moved the floating caliper back on probably a dry but dirty pivot pin. Both of those probably bound up the brakes and if no service has been done for awhile, the displaced seals allowed a little air in there as well.

When you bled the brakes, the bit of air introduced was expelled, but the dirt in the bores and the dry pivot pin still remain and caliper will likely bind up again until you do at least the routine caliper maintenance procedure WYW posted earlier. Give it a shot, don't forget the "consumables" like the Brakleen (non-chlorinated), shoe lace and high temp lube for the pin.

I have a problem similar to this. No Brakes at all - have not done anything to the machine...there is no leak and all looks good but no pressure in the system at all....I am no expert and have not tackled the problem yet. Looking to this wonderful site to guide me.

What is the process FXSTS 1992 model - Can anyone guide me

Probably start off by bleeding the brakes and if you can't get any pressure to do this either rebuild or replace the master cylinder.

Second that, the label on the master cylinder cap has the type fluid recommended. Always check this and a good idea to check service manual to be sure. If you do not have a service manual, get one...it will be the best $60 you will spend!

Yup, sounds like you maybe got some gunk in there when you retracted the brakes. Don't forget, these have no boots on the pistons. Just did the same thing to my 07 RKC and it all (mostly) worked out, but this post reminded me I forgot to lube the pins, so the brakes are dragging ever so slightly in one place as I rotate the wheel. (the disk is warm after riding, more than it should be) So, either it's been that way from the get go (I've only had the bike for 3K miles) or the disk is warped. I'm hoping some lube will allow the pads to slide back enough. What should I use there? High temp bearing grease OK?

Yup, sounds like you maybe got some gunk in there when you retracted the brakes. Don't forget, these have no boots on the pistons. Just did the same thing to my 07 RKC and it all (mostly) worked out, but this post reminded me I forgot to lube the pins, so the brakes are dragging ever so slightly in one place as I rotate the wheel. (the disk is warm after riding, more than it should be) So, either it's been that way from the get go (I've only had the bike for 3K miles) or the disk is warped. I'm hoping some lube will allow the pads to slide back enough. What should I use there? High temp bearing grease OK?

I find that copper grease works well for me on brakes and a little on the back of the pads helps to prevent squeal but defiantly good on the pins

Brian

Back