free website stats program Changed Primary oil now shifts hard | Harley Davidson Forums

Changed Primary oil now shifts hard

ednsharond

Just changed the gear oil in my 90 sporty. There was not quite a half a quart that came out. Used the sport plus HD primary oil now trans is real hard to shift. It's quieter but shifting is really hard. Any suggestions?

well to much oil is the only thing i can think of, i think sportys take 1 qt,,, :57: & welcome,,,

Just changed the gear oil in my 90 sporty. There was not quite a half a quart that came out. Used the sport plus HD primary oil now trans is real hard to shift. It's quieter but shifting is really hard. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the clutch is dragging a little, Shifting fine while oil was low?

Make Sure the Correct Amount of OIL is in the tranny-primary, A Little Too Much can drag on the clutch and make shifting hard..

Also, Re-adjust the clutch adjustment and re-tighten the clutch cable back to the tight side 1/16" for proper adjustment... this should make the shifting normal...

Self help will explain the clutch adjustment for your sport in full detail..
Use the search forum on the page top.

signed....BUBBIE:D

A 90 sportster would be a 4 speed box i m sure its 38 fluid ounces for it
opend the book and checked i was wrong its 40 fluid ounces but thats for a 91 with a 4 speed box
5 speed box takes 32 fluid ounces

Brian

EdnSharonD, welcome to the forum and your first post. What type gear oil did you put in...as Bubbie said, it might be too "viscous" or cold, sticking the plates together. Did you do anything else (adjust the clutch freeplay to 1/16" cold w/ steering lock to lock. May want to check the Self Help section for adjusting clutch videio and Glider's method, just to be sure.

Hi folks,
Thanks for the welcome and with your suggestions and the self help I realized what the problem was. It turned out to be the fault of a nut. Which nut??? The nut holding the wrenches. Note to self... If you mistakingly turn the lock nut on the primary chain adjustment thinking you had the drain pulg check your chain adjustment before riding again.
Nuf' said LOL. :)

I would sugest a service manual as it may help by keeping you right on what to do and when
as there were a lot of changes in the sportster between 1990 and 1994 and 1200s being a stage ahaed of the 883s in the mods that were done over that period its best to get a manual specificly for your year of bike
and happy riding

Brian

Back