free website stats program changed front fork seals | Harley Davidson Forums

changed front fork seals

Hey guys it has been a while I changed my fork seals today and I just want to make sure I have the right oil level in them. acording to the manual it should be around 11.6 oz I took the forks apart cleaned and inspected them so they were empty so in the manual it says to measure the distance from the top to oil surface with fork extended but there is no measurement mentioned in the book any help would be apreciated

Hey guys it has been a while I changed my fork seals today and I just want to make sure I have the right oil level in them. acording to the manual it should be around 11.6 oz I took the forks apart cleaned and inspected them so they were empty so in the manual it says to measure the distance from the top to oil surface with fork extended but there is no measurement mentioned in the book any help would be apreciated

So you put 11.6 (approx.) new fluid in both sides? If so, measure the air gap above the fluid in both sides to make sure they are even to about 1/8". Then ride the bike and see how the front end feels. If it is too stiff, take out about 1/4" of fluid. Repeat this until you like the ride.

The easiest way to do this is to get a bag of wooden popsicle sticks or bamboo skewers sticks. Lower the stick in the tube until you know it is in the fluid. Mark the top of the tube point on the stick, take it out of the tube and measure the air gap.

TQ

I measured the air gap and it is 5 1/4 from top to fluid in both forks I am using screaming eagle performance heavy oil if that will make any differance the old oil was just not good enough the forks were too soft

I measured the air gap and it is 5 1/4 from top to fluid in both forks I am using screaming eagle performance heavy oil if that will make any differance the old oil was just not good enough the forks were too soft

As long as they are even, give it a test run and see how it feels. Add or subtract in 1/4" intervals until you like it. The air in the top is compressible, and that is how you can adjust the "feel". The fluid is there to dampen the oscillation.

TQ

thanks I will put them back tonight and test drive tomorrow I will let U know how it turns out..

well I rode to work this morning what a differance the forks are stiffer and the ride was alot smoother no bouncing like it had in the past with the small bumps in the roads we have . Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks I will put them back tonight and test drive tomorrow I will let U know how it turns out..

well I rode to work this morning what a differance the forks are stiffer and the ride was alot smoother no bouncing like it had in the past with the small bumps in the roads we have . Thanks again

Excellent! Glad it worked out so well. Just remember that you can fiddle with the air gaps in the tubes as you want (within reason of course) as long as you keep the levels even. And it is probably a good idea to change your fluid out ever year. Easy to do one that bike.

TQ

Showa front forks can be drilled and tapped on the fork caps for an air fitting. now you can add air like older baggers to stiffen the ft end:s

Back