free website stats program Change the Dash on an 06 Street Bob | Harley Davidson Forums

Change the Dash on an 06 Street Bob

bwalsh22

I have seen some posts about putting a wide glide dash on an 06 Street Bob. I want to keep the single meter and not put 2 meters. There seem to be very few aftermarket speedo/tach combinations for the 06 Street Bob with the small (less than 4" dash opening).

To get to the question, can I put an 07 Street Bob Dash on my '06 Street Bob? Any thoughts on how difficult this may be to do?

The 07 dash will fit the 06, but I believe they are the same dash. The swap would involve simply removing the old, replacing the speedometer and indicator lights and reconnecting everything. Not difficult at all.

Chrome options- Send your dash to a chromeplater. I did this with excellent results. I also relocated the ignition switch to the dash as well while I was at it.

The Screaming Eagle Dyna dash will also fit the SB to at least 07. This comes in chrome and has the opening to relocate the ignition switch. I saw this option on a Street Bob and it looked great.

Thanks Ice, appreciate the thoughts. I thought the 07 had a bigger speedo in it?

My bike is mostly black, but I have considered chroming it, since the top of the bike has the chrome solo rack. Not a 100% sure, right now I just want to try to get a Speedo/Tach to replace the current Speedo (but not one of the pure digital ones), not too concerned about the Ignition switch, key upfront doesn't bother me.

Got any pics of yours?

Yes on the pictures-need a few more posts on the forum before I can post them.

Will do as soon as possible.

Here's a picture of the dash and a few of the bike.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 482
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 304
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a picture of the dash and a few of the bike.

Nicely done Ice!

Did you sand or sandblast the wrinkle black off your dash before getting it chromed?
What part is that ignition switch? From which HD?

Did you fill your old switch position or keep it as a fork lock?

Thanks for the pics Ice, looks nice, you given me something to think about. I can't decide if I want to continue just blacking everything and anything out or add some more chrome to the top. I know down low all is going to stay as black as black, with my black typhoon wheels. Already have a mothers solo rack, which is a nice chrome accent on top, and the more I think about it the chrome dash may be another nice way accent...oh the decisions. Thankfully my wallet will give me time to decide, just gathering my parts wish list for Christmas :D

CDN- Chromeplater did the prep work inclusive in the price. Totalled about 130.00 including shipping. I used Brown's plating out of Kentucky. They did a real nice job. The switch was a standard 3 blade connector type. It is the FL Softail switch. picked it up at J&P Cycle for about 35.00, half the HD part.
Kept the original ignition as a fork lock.

JJ- Not real difficult on the ignition switch relocation. But it is time consuming to do it right and carefully. First decision is whether you want to use a stock dash and drill the hole(drill press is highly recommended) or purchase the Screaming Eagle dash. The SE comes with the hole for the ignition and is chromed from the factory. Looking back, I would have taken the SE route over using a stock dash. Wiring is straight forward but the ignition cables need to be extended to reach the new postion. If you go with a stock dash a mounting plate is necessary for the new ignition switch. I have some pictures of how it was done and part numbers and can provide you with greater detail and some swearing saving tips if you decide to go forward. Let me know if you want more detail. Finally, to give credit where due, I got the procedure from a member on another forum and refined it a bit.

Back