free website stats program Change Oil Before or After Winter Storage? | Harley Davidson Forums

Change Oil Before or After Winter Storage?

Cyclops

For the record I’ll be changing all the fluids in my 09 Ultra Classic around the end of November if the great weather holds up.

However, I was once told that one should replace the fluids after storage, not prior to storage. The logic was that if one periodically starts the bike (say once a week or every other) while stored, the cold engine parts allow condensation to build up and settles in the oil, building up every time it’s started/stopped while stored cold. Then in the spring you change the oil (complete method/process), thus ensuring all the water is removed.

Since I value the opinions/feedback from this forum’s community, would appreciate what others think about the above. Did someone share some unfounded tale with me, or is there some truth to this?

Also, just curious as to how many folks out there periodically start/stop their bikes while stored and how many just leave them connected to the tender and only start them after the winter thaw?

Thanks in advance!

Change before storage so acid and sludge does not eat away at lower end. I would not start it up and run it in the winter as this would be short term running and not enough to burn off the condensation that builds up, put it on the tender and read the forum and contribute, I know that sounds easy coming from Florida, but I have been there when I lived in Minnesota, The guys@ work said I was unbearable in the winter, Imagine that LOL, Capital Jack:s

Change before storage so acid and sludge does not eat away at lower end. I would not start it up and run it in the winter as this would be short term running and not enough to burn off the condensation that builds up, put it on the tender and read the forum and contribute, I know that sounds easy coming from Florida, but I have been there when I lived in Minnesota, The guys@ work said I was unbearable in the winter, Imagine that LOL, Capital Jack:s
Appreciate the quick feedback Capital Jack. I'm definitely changing mine, and I hook up the tender and then just look at her all winter while playing pool & drinking beer. Just wanted to clear of some old advice that was passed on to me years ago.

Appreciate the quick feedback Capital Jack. I'm definitely changing mine, and I hook up the tender and then just look at her all winter while playing pool & drinking beer. Just wanted to clear of some old advice that was passed on to me years ago.

Cant you ride in the winter over there in Uncle Billy land? Or do yo all get snow, I aint been to your state Yet, some day, any way when you get her out of hibernation you will be ready to ride, take care and stay warm

I park my bike around the first week of December, right after our local Toys for Tots ride. Then pull her out in late March. Our winters are normally mild, but we do get snow, and lots of ice (winter rains). Plus, these blood thinners cause a person to get cold really quick. If you're ever in the area let me know.

I park my bike around the first week of December, right after our local Toys for Tots ride. Then pull her out in late March. Our winters are normally mild, but we do get snow, and lots of ice (winter rains). Plus, these blood thinners cause a person to get cold really quick. If you're ever in the area let me know.

Sure will, been thinking bout Mardi Gras who knows maybe a side trip, careful with those thinners, dont want you stroking out on us, Capital Jack

I totally agree with Capital Jack's reasoning. As a builder and driver of street rods and customs for my entire (semi)adult life, my cars always went to storage with as few miles as possible on the oil. IF I had to start the vehicle, I would run it long enough to get FULL operating temperature for at least 5 minutes. That burned off the condensation and any unburnt fuel (the old carburators ran very rich while the choke was operating, dumping excess fuel into the cylinders that would wash the oil off the cylinder walls and other parts as well). Pulling the battery and putting it on a tender will curb that urge to 'hear it'! Don't forget to do something with the fuel. New gas is NOTHING like the old stuff. Without an additive, it has a shelf life of a mere thirty days! :( Talk to people and get a concensus of what works to preserve your fuel and to keep the fuel system functional! Time well spent, otherwise you will have a problematic bike for half the season or worse...... and we don't want that, do we???? :) I know I DON'T! I wanna RIDE!!!!!!

The Tank has you covered...! The Self Help tips are easily accessed with a click of the tab near the top of this page and select the desired topic. The Search tab will help you find threads related to your topic just by clicking on it and typing keywords like winter storage...you should find this website easy to navigate and some pretty interesting threads. :D

i just changed mine, between now and march i'll prob put 500 miles on it and in march i'll change it again i do ride enough in the winter to keep fresh fuel in but i use sta-bil just for peace of mind

Back