free website stats program change from fi to carb? | Harley Davidson Forums

change from fi to carb?

kevinp

:small3d011: A friend has a 97 flh with fuel injected and the temp sensor went bad. Now he is considering converting to carb because the dealer said that Harley is going to stop making the sensor for this model, and the 97 and 98s had this problem a lot. Has anyone done this conversion, and if so what is all involved? This seems pretty straight forward and simple. Is it as simple as changing intake and add a carb and go ride, or is their issues with computer, fuel pump, ect?

Disclaimer first; have never made the conversion but have picked up some related information from discussions on the subject of converting my '02 FLHT from carb to EFI but have decided I prefer the carb. I know it is a reverse conversion but both conversions require similar components to be swapped out.

A few things I do know. You will need the PN# for a carb engine harness. The carb (ignition) harness plugs into your main harness in the same place as the EFI harness; they are different from year to year but I think an '01 or '02 works, but may require some alteration. From what I understand, the '02 harness is preferred for this conversion but I don't know why. Your going to have to convert your fuel tank by getting the kit from Pingel. The throttle cables will work for a CV. For the S&S carb your going to have to buy the cable adapter and the S&S intake manifold you will need the one set up for a map sensor. You will also need to obtain an ignition that will work for the carb harness. (match the years)

Check Ebay, for Namz Ignition Wiring Harnesses NHD-32435-01 For Harley Davidson. Give the guy a call to see what else you need. Also check Pinwall cycle parts for harnesses. $70 is a general price for the EFI harness, carb should be about the same.

Have you considered upgrading to the later Delphi EFI instead of a carb? Could probably do that for about the same cost; not sure.

I totally agree that you should be talking to someone that has actually done the conversion but just thought I would pass along the very general information I picked up before abandoning the idea of the reverse conversion on my old FL.:hii

Can you identify the sensor you are talking about?
Must be some one sitting on some NOS parts some where

getimage.php

Is this it? Rock Auto has them:s

Just a couple of notes with reference to the AMM instructions.

1. The conversion bike is a 2005 TC softail with a Delphi EFI and the bike referenced in the OP is a '97 EVO FL model with the MM EFI which is why the fuel tank must be changed and not a requirement in the AMM instructions.

2. AMM has included their ignition unit in these instructions but there are other options.

As for the discontinued sensor, as I read the OP, the temp sensor is the sensor that the OP makes reference to as being made obsolete. However, I cannot believe that that sensor is not available in the aftermarket.:s

From what I read, the conversion is not difficult; however, if I was converting, as much as I love my carbed '02, I would be advising the OP's friend to look for sensors or upgrade to the Delphi EFI.:hii

thanks for the suggestions. I have suggested the upgrade, and also looking for aftermarket parts. I do know that Drag specialty has them. I believe that after hearing all the fun of converting he has decided to take the bike to dealer in black river falls and have all new put in and retuned as soon as he can scrape up the cash. Maybe I will suggest to his girl friend to do it for him ass a x-mass present. lol. thanks again to all. Ride on and ride safe.

If your friend is just looking to spend some money that's cool but I really don't see the advantage of the switch. Even if Harley stops making the part you need there will surely be an aftermarket one available. You can probably buy 10 of them for the price of the changeover.

I say put the money in fuel and ride that thing....

thanks for the suggestions. I have suggested the upgrade, and also looking for aftermarket parts. I do know that Drag specialty has them. I believe that after hearing all the fun of converting he has decided to take the bike to dealer in black river falls and have all new put in and retuned as soon as he can scrape up the cash. Maybe I will suggest to his girl friend to do it for him ass a x-mass present. lol. thanks again to all. Ride on and ride safe.

If your friend is just looking to spend some money that's cool but I really don't see the advantage of the switch. Even if Harley stops making the part you need there will surely be an aftermarket one available. You can probably buy 10 of them for the price of the changeover.

I say put the money in fuel and ride that thing....

See post #4, these parts are available:s

Back