free website stats program Cell Phones and Driving "Please Read" | Harley Davidson Forums

Cell Phones and Driving "Please Read"

AMEN!!!
Ever wonder why some german built cars don't have cup holders or ash trays?
Its because that beleive that you should pay attention to "the task at hand".

Also I must say that I find it VERY eratating that many states have laws that it is illegal to you use your phone while driving, but the police don't inforce it.
You see people driving down the road while talking on the phone, smoking a cig and yelling at the kids (that often are not bukled in), it is a wonder they don't have a wreck every day!

Using a hand held cell phone has been illegal here in the uk for a number of years
use of a hands free cell phone is permitted as long as you do not touch the phone
However many people still use hand held cell phones however the police will prosecute them if they see them

Brian

I think they should impost a $1000 fine if you are caught using a cel phone and a license revocation of 3 months too. Much too many accidents caused by people on cels.

They need to get tough with distacted drivers, with stiff fines, loss of driving privileges and higher insurance rates. The law needs to put anyone who knowingly drives distracted in the same class as a person who commits premeditated murder especially when someone is killed or injured. The State of Florida would rather pass a law about saggy pants that hang off the wearers fanny, then to pass a law outlawing cell phone use while driving.
Remember: Crack Kills.

I think they should impost a $1000 fine if you are caught using a cel phone and a license revocation of 3 months too. Much too many accidents caused by people on cels.

Boss, I agree with you here. If you are driving then drive. Want to talk..pull over and talk ,otherwise keep the cell turned off while driving.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I don't think it's about safety or distraction or good driving. It's all about money. Cell phone carriers have lobbied state legislatures for years to allow phone usage in cars, because it's more money for them, Just like the manufacturers of those impossibly bright auto headlights, which were at first illegal, then all of a sudden became not only legal but the new big thing.

As to enforcement, when the first offense is a fine of five or ten bucks, nobody really cares. As Glider suggests, make it a grand or so, and two things happen. First, people take it seriously, and second, the police would feel it's worthwhile to pull someone over.

By the way, if this all seems a bit rant-y, maybe it's because I got seriously cut off by a driver on his phone, today.

Ok, rant over. Happy me again.

In the UK if caught using a hand held mobile phone you will receive a £60 fine and 3 penalty points on your driving licence
having penalty points on a driving licence will increase your insurance premium if you manage to gain 12 penalty points then you get a 1 year driving ban and then a subsequent increase in the cost of insurance after the ban
Penalty points can be accumulated from a variety of motoring offences and take 4 years to clear

Brian

Back