free website stats program CB radio problem sound familiar? | Harley Davidson Forums

CB radio problem sound familiar?

wjl7110

I have a 2005 Ultra. Since later this last summer the CB had been acting up. No squelch, can transmit, but can't recieve. At one point it would take awhile then operate, but lately.....nothing.

I have a 2005 Ultra. Since later this last summer the CB had been acting up. No squelch, can transmit, but can't recieve. At one point it would take awhile then operate, but lately.....nothing.

any problems with the AM/FM/CD bass,treble,fade?

If it can transmit, and you know it, I would think the antenna has a good connection. I am assuming that the setup (coil placement) is the same as my 2007. Unbolt and lift the tourpack liner and check the coil and wires for any breaks or corrosion. But from my understanding of how an antenna/radio works, if it can send a signal out it should be able to receive a signal. If that is all good, I would guess it may be a faulty switch on the handle bars. It may sound like you can't hear anything (not receiving) but if the squelch is "all the way up" that is what it would appear like--you aren't receiving.

I don't use the c.b often however I was playing with it one day and noticed that the speaker selection switch had something to do with it. Before I played with the selection switch I couldn't hear anything through the speakers. Try playing with the switch and squelch. I believe the switch needs to down (light on) in order for it to play through the speakers. I rarely hear people on the c.b unless I am near the interstate where truckers still use their c.b's. I too wondered for the longest time if my c.b was working.

Thanks, I picked up a SWR meter today. I will try it for the antenna situation and also for the power out information.
The other radio parts work well, CD, AM, FM, Aux. and weather. The handlebar controls work on everthing else too.
I was thinking it was a radio problem, and I did find a place that will swap a good for a bad unit (plus $200) in Ky. I don't trust the dealer (they are only one page ahead of me on the manual in most cases), and I can't find anyone else that looks like they know much more.:33:

Ok, the SWR meter is worth its weight in gold. I found a break in my antenna cable. I will replace the cable when I get the chance.

Back