free website stats program CB question | Harley Davidson Forums

CB question

hogcowboy

I'm new to my used 2007 Ultra so have been going through the owners manual a little at a time as I explore more of the ultra's features. But I got to the CB and have run into something I can't find an answer to in the manual. I've put the radio in CB mode, turned the CB on, adjusted the volume and adjusted the squelch to open then back up to one bar. And here's the problem, the radio/CD will cut out like it is receiving some transmission but I don't actually hear anything. So is this a malfunction of the radio or is this a SWR tuning problem or is there something I missed completely?:eam

You are picking up cb chatter. You may not hear the actual talk, but the radio/cd is cutting in and out because someone is on your cb channel. The best solution is to turn off the cb when you are not using it, or switch to a channel not used by truckers/emergency unit etc.

I understand that and that is the problem, I want to hear the chatter and I'm not. I got the volume (in CB mode) turned up high and yet I hear nothing. Just the cut out. I can turn the CD off but the I wouldn't even know there was chatter I should be hearing. Did I not make that clear. I want to hear the chatter. In other words I want to use it like a CB!

When you are hearing "cut outs" turn the squelch up and down to fine tune it.
Try going to a busy highway where there are truckers so there's more cb traffic.
See if you are transmitting and if you get replies. You may have an antenna problem, tighten/loosen connections. Just fiddle with everything, you may get lucky or you may need a cb expert to troubleshoot/ tune it.

I Have an 07 Ultra too. I believe that I have the squelch set just above the midpoint. I will check for sure when I head home from work this evening and let you know. I seem to remember needing to have it set pretty high or I got a lot of those empty cut outs and even more unintelligible chatter.

Just checked the settings on my radio. The squelch is set at 6 bars, which is just below the midpoint. Your CB will pick up a lot of stray radio signals any of which will activate the mute function that you are noticing. The higher the squelch setting the stronger the signal must be before the radio responds to it. Find a road with substantial truck traffic and keep bumping the squelch up until nothing interrupts your radio accept a legitimate CB transmission.

Thanks Jennmarr, I'll check that out the next time I'm on the highway. Too darn hot to go for a ride right now!

Back