free website stats program CB Output/Receive Range | Harley Davidson Forums

CB Output/Receive Range

Greetings everyone. I've searched but as of yet I've not been able to find anything on range of the CB system. My '09 Ultra doesn't seem to be able to transmit or receive very far. I tested it with a friend last weekend and we could only communicate about 1/2 to 3/4 a mile and this was pretty much "line of sight". Is this normal? Can the antenna be adjusted using a swr meter?

Thanks in Advance.

A decent ground plane is needed for decent CB operation which isn't available on a bike so as a result the range will suffer. It's not like a car where you have the roof or trunk mount that will give you better range.The antenna is adjustable as far as the SWR and should be set for best operation.

Thanks for the reply Glider. I've searched my manual and took a peek in the "Tips" section here but haven't been able to find an swr adjustment proceedure. I'll buy a meter if I can find instuctions on how to do the adjustment. What is a "realistic" range for the CB. Do you think 1/2 to 3/4 mile line of sight is normal?

Thanks
Russ

Thanks for the reply Glider. I've searched my manual and took a peek in the "Tips" section here but haven't been able to find an swr adjustment proceedure. I'll buy a meter if I can find instuctions on how to do the adjustment. What is a "realistic" range for the CB. Do you think 1/2 to 3/4 mile line of sight is normal?

Thanks
Russ

It's a matter of trimming the length or extending the length in the base to get the proper SWR reading. Haven't done it in so long (over 24 yrs) , I forget what the proper SWR is now. I have a SWR meter that I'm looking to sell if you are interested.

Misc. Parts For Sale - Harley Davidson Community

Here's the procedure for setting the SWR.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/swr.htm

That has got to (EDIT). I have thought about getting a CB for my bike just for the option. Maybe it wont be worth it. I am currently using a 4 watt GMRS and have gotten 2 miles in the mountains with tall trees. I was impressed. I have my Ham license now and will be using my 5 watt HT with MARS modification which will let me talk 2m/1.25m/70cm/GMRS & FRS frequencies. Now if I can just figure out how to adapt the output of the HK in my Road Glide to the input of the Autocom system I am using.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks
Russ

I get about the same range on my CB. I figured since the CB was mainly for bike to bike communications in group rides, more power isn't required.
:USA

I have no problem with group rides but the other day I was by myself riding on the interstate and could't communicate with anyone it seemed. Heard very little traffic for the amount of trucks I passed.

Back