Caution ; lowering kits

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Ultra Will, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Ultra Will

Ultra Will Member

Just wanted to post what happened to me and hopefully avoid the same thing happening to someone else.

I lowered my bike about an 1-1/2" with a lowering bracket.
    Not only does it look nicer to me but my feet are more comfortably planted on the ground.

Anyways, my wife is roughly 130 lbs and I really did not think about the need to add more pressure to the air suspension after having it lowered.

After about 5-6 months, my rear right turn signal stopped working.; as did my rear right stop light... The rear right running light would still work so that became puzzling. I ended up having to take it to a local Indy.

After searching the bike over & over and a few hours labor time ($$) it was found that my wiring harness that runs inside the rear fender had been rubbing against the tire and a few of the wires and been stripped and were actually touching each other...

So if you're considering a lowering kit, remember that harness thats under the rear fender. You'll either have to re route that harness elsewhere or keep a constant eye on that suspension's Air pressure. I'm keeping it at 20 lbs and I told my wife she also needed to drop a few pounds if she wanted to keep riding with me.. :D (that didnt go so well for me though)
  2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Looks like two great tips here. 1) carefully inspect wiring after lowering. 2) The wifes weight is not the issue. Ever. :D
  3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Welcome to The Forum, It is indeed a learning experience:s Bad thing about the shock lowering kits is the angle it puts the shocks in Pretty severe from my own past from using a White Brothers kit like this back in 92 enjoy your 2 up riding:s
  4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Always check your clerance areas - gremlins can bite you if you're not cautious...
  5. La Smoke

La Smoke Member

Not only watch the harness..Lowering any bike more than 1" can also effect the lean angle limit's making the bike dangerous in the twisties !!!!
  6. hobo55

hobo55 Active Member

I did it on my 85 FLT and it lowered it down real nice. Had to space the hard bags out a little bit. Sat good and rode good. And then............. Loaded it up for a 2 week trip all is still good. After a few hundred miles noticed the shocks wore into the saddle bags. Got home and took them off. Bike sat higher but no clearance issues. Anyone want them?
  7. wannaride

wannaride Active Member

I think that is why my right tun signal light comes on when I hit the brake. I thought it was a wire that I found under the seat, but repairing that did not fix it.

8. mc2

mc2 Active Member Contributor

To add another warning with lowering kits:
    I've got an 08 Fat Boy lowered front and rear.

During a great 3,500 mile road trip I noticed my right footboard was ground more than the left. Thinking there were either more right turns, or I was sub-consicously more conservative on left turns I began biting a little more to the left. Being lowered the footboards will grind early so I figured it was ok if they folded up a little more!

Near the end of the trip the kickstand fell freely away from its up position. I looked down to find the tang where the return spring clips on had worn out releasing the spring.

When I looked a little further I noticed the full width of the primary cover below the clutch was ground away perfectly across its width. It's a pretty big flat spot, but at least it's not leaking!

It sure would have been messy if I had ground through the primary and lost all the oil.

That tang was a lucky warning in the consequences of modifications!
  9. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

My take on lowering kits is leave your bike alone and just ride it. If you have trouble touching the ground buy a smaller bike or taller boots!:bigsmiley12: