free website stats program Catalytic in Exhust | Harley Davidson Forums

Catalytic in Exhust

Mrjoshua

Hi I have a 2016 Heritage all stock. I was wondering if the catalytic converters are in the head pipes or the mufflers? Thanks. Josh

They are in the head pipes. Many people remove the head pipes, cut holes in the back of them and chisel the material out and mig or tig weld the blank back in.

IIRC, the cats in dual exhaust equipped softails are located in the mufflers; don't see how the cats could be fitted in the head pipes. The OP shoud be able to shine a light into the muffler and see the beehive core of the cat; it will be located near the front of the muffler.

I don't know about 2016 but the 2013 heritage the cats are in the mufflers..
They are in the head pipes. Many people remove the head pipes, cut holes in the back of them and chisel the material out and mig or tig weld the blank back in.
I don't know about 2016 but the 2013 heritage the cats are in the mufflers.
I don't know about 2016 but the 2013 heritage the cats are in the mufflers.

I wonder if 2013 head pipes will fit my bike? like to save my original pipes if cats are located in head pipes. I was told by the dealer they were in the head pipes but I don't always trust the dealers . thanks for the replies

Edit to bring the member's response out of the quote area - SledDog

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if 2013 head pipes will fit my bike? like to save my original pipes if cats are located in head pipes. I was told by the dealer they were in the head pipes but I don't always trust the dealers .

You are right not to trust the dealer. The cats are in the mufflers; replace them with a good set of slipons like Rush which can be ordered with1.75" 2.00" or 2.25" baffles. The larger the baffle, the louder the exhaust; 1.75" is about 2X louder than stock. Your stock heat shields will work.

Take a look at the head pipe. How would a cat fit? In the head pipe on models with the 2:1:2 exhaust, like touring models, because the cat can be located at the cross over. However, I believe the cats were relocated to the mufflers on the 2017 touring models.

Last edited:
The M8 moved the cat further back to reduce the heat, other models have a cat muffler your ride u decide

You are right not to trust the dealer. The cats are in the mufflers; replace them with a good set of slipons like Rush which can be ordered with1.75" 2.00" or 2.25" baffles. The larger the baffle, the louder the exhaust; 1.75" is about 2X louder than stock. Your stock heat shields will work.

Take a look at the head pipe. How would a cat fit? In the head pipe on models with the 2:1:2 exhaust, like touring models, because the cat can be located at the cross over. However, I believe the cats were relocated to the mufflers on the 2017 touring models.
Maybe this will help with the heat. Thanks for the help

Back