free website stats program Catalytic Converter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Catalytic Converter

Catless head pipes from '09 models are cheap and easy to find; lots of take offs for aftermarket exhausts. Retain your OEM head pipe/cat for resale or the day when Florida starts emission testing.:small3d031:

:small3d002:09 won't work,different O2 sensors and locations.:bigsmiley12:

:small3d002:09 won't work,different O2 sensors and locations.:bigsmiley12:

The will work; easy fix. All that is required is to plug the '09 bungs (near the heads) and weld in new '10 bungs where you need them; logically in locations near the stock locations so the wires reach and re-install the sensors. Pretty cheap fix and you get to retain an intact OEM head pipe should you need it in the future.

When the sensors were relocated in 2010 to the cat housing, they are only about 8" apart. There has been much debate about "cross talk" between the sensors if the cat is removed creating tuning issues; however, lots have done this and have not experienced tuning issues. I am not a tuner but believe that the sensors are close enough together in the cat housing that the sensors are reading "mixed" signals from both cylinders prohibiting the tuning of each cylinder separately.:cheers

The will work; easy fix. All that is required is to plug the '09 bungs (near the heads) and weld in new '10 bungs where you need them; logically in locations near the stock locations so the wires reach and re-install the sensors. Pretty cheap fix and you get to retain an intact OEM head pipe should you need it in the future.

When the sensors were relocated in 2010 to the cat housing, they are only about 8" apart. There has been much debate about "cross talk" between the sensors if the cat is removed creating tuning issues; however, lots have done this and have not experienced tuning issues. I am not a tuner but believe that the sensors are close enough together in the cat housing that the sensors are reading "mixed" signals from both cylinders prohibiting the tuning of each cylinder separately.:cheers

Plug and cut,weld in new bungs easy fix.yeah right. As far the debate of blending I've heard none.I have a 2010 RGC decatted I've tuned along with others with no problems.Now I'm going to search for this debate and talk to a couple MMI instructors I know to ask their opinion.

Well...to dolt it might be an easy fix b/c he's got the tools + talent to drill/weld new bungs onto header. Guess the easiest response would be (1) physically they'll fit, but (2) you'll need to plug the O2 bungs & add tuner w/O2 capped.

I'd knock out the cat and get a tuner of choice and have it tuned. Since your in Florida look up Doc's shop. He is one of the finiest tuners in the country and you got him right in your back door.

Plug and cut,weld in new bungs easy fix.yeah right. As far the debate of blending I've heard none. I have a 2010 RGC decatted I've tuned along with others with no problems.Now I'm going to search for this debate and talk to a couple MMI instructors I know to ask their opinion.

It is an easy fix, at least IMHO as easy as cutting open the cat housing, removing the cat and rewelding; much less cutting and welding.

As for the blending issue, I did not say that tuning issues would result from de-catting. As a matter of fact, I said lots had removed the cat without tuning issues but that there has been some debate about the "cross talk"
effect of de-catting. Give me a carb and programmable ignition and I am quite at home but a novice at EFI tuning and just starting to learn. However, it would appear, even to a novice on EFI that if the sensors are in close proximity that they would be reading a blend of both cylinders. With tuning software capable of tuning each cylinder individually, it would seem that quite possible to deliver a great tune based on the blended input. This begs the question, again for a novice EFI guy, could the tune be better if each cylinder could be tuned individually as the software was designed to do?

If you want to search the debate, start with the links below. I would rely much more on information from some of these guys than MMI instructors but that's just me.

Cat removal issues

O2 sensor Crosstalk

Or give Doc a call; the tuner Tn. Heritage referred to in his post.

Plug and cut,weld in new bungs easy fix.yeah right. As far the debate of blending I've heard none. I have a 2010 RGC decatted I've tuned along with others with no problems.Now I'm going to search for this debate and talk to a couple MMI instructors I know to ask their opinion.

It is an easy fix, at least IMHO as easy as cutting open the cat housing, removing the cat and rewelding.

As for the blending issue, I did not say that tuning issues would result from de-catting. As a matter of fact, I said lots had removed the cat without tuning issues but that there has been some debate about the "cross talk"
effect of de-catting. Give me a carb and programmable ignition and I am quite at home but a novice at EFI tuning and just starting to learn. However, it would appear, even to a novice on EFI that if the sensors are in close proximity that they would be reading a blend of both cylinders. With tuning software capable of tuning each cylinder individually, it would seem that quite possible to deliver a great tune based on the blended input. This begs the question, again for a novice EFI guy, could the tune be better if each cylinder could be tuned individually as the software was designed to do?

If you want to search the debate, start with the links below. I would rely much more on information from some of these guys than MMI instructors but that's just me.

Cat removal issues

O2 sensor Crosstalk

Or give Doc a call; the tuner Tn. Heritage referred to in his post.

I went and changed out my pipe to a catless one and installed a ECM flash tuner, what a difference it made. my sugestion is to remove it and get your bike running the way it should!

Back