free website stats program Catalytic Converter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Catalytic Converter

grunt 63. I am a retired tig welder. I cut mine off after measuring he stock converter. went down to a muffler shop, and had them make me a piece of exhaust pipe that would fit and formed to the shape required. It cost me twenty bucks I did the welding also installed a XIED. it runs great a lot cooler sound great. Also removed the flat crossover pipe and replaced it with a complete round tube. MPG improved to 46 and the best the oil never gets hotter then 220 even after 90 mile of continuous riding in Texas weather.

check out wild pigs or american classic pipes. buy theirs and keep your old headers for any future inspections.

I've got a '12 Ultra Limited. Would like to dump the cat. You just cut it out and no other mods? no remapping? what happened to your mileage?

I carved mine out before the 1000 mile breakin.......
StockheaderwithCatcutoutvisible.jpg

I've got a '12 Ultra Limited. Would like to dump the cat. You just cut it out and no other mods? no remapping? what happened to your mileage?

Be wary of removing the cat from the '12 models. The placement of the O2 bungs in the '12 models (maybe started in the '11s, not sure) is such that when the cat is removed, the O2 sensors get a "blend" of O2 instead of separate reads from the front and rear cylinder. This can cause the ECM some confusion and affect tuning. I would not remove the cat from a '12 model but take NEWHD74FAN's advice and replace the OEM head pipe with the "catless" '09 and hang on the OEM head pipe just in case you may need if for inspection purposes in the future. Or, replace the OEM head pipe with the Fuel Moto head pipe. JMHO; your ride, you decide.

All well and good 'cept when EPA Inspection and Registration becomes formal where you live. Better to save the take off header pipe, install a 2009 one and put whatever floats your boat. You do not want a fixit ticket, fines or worse. JMHO:wall

Will the '09 Header fit a '12 Ultra Ltd?

The catless '09 head pipe will fit and will work. Plug the '09 OEM bungs and install the '12 bungs in the correct location; reconnect the sensors and you are done. The guys that are doing it this way are hanging on to the OEM catted pipe for the day when emission testing shows up in their state.

Or, cut out the cat as described by others; your ride, you decide.

The tuning/blend/sensor cross talk issue is an ongoing debate among those that are more qualified than I to debate the issue.

Back