Catalyst and not catalyst exhaust differencies

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Javieret, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Javieret

Javieret New Member

Hi,

I'm looking for a set of OEM exhaust mufflers for my 97 Road King and I've found in ebay a set that says it fits Touring Models. I've been looking at the OEM numbers stamped on them and one of them is the same that is in my Parts Manual but the other one isn't the same OEM number.

The different one has stamped the words Catalyst TC88.

Can anyone explain me the difference betweeen the Catalyst and non Catalyst muffler and if it would fit my bike?

Thanks a lot,

--
    Javi

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

It will fit but it has a catalist in the one muffler which was done prior to HD installing the cats in the head pipe instead of the muffler. There will be a restriction of sorts in the side that has the cat in it, usually the right side.

Catalytic Mufflers - Harley Davidson Community

3. Javieret

Javieret New Member

Thanks glider,

And how does it affect that restriction to the bike performance? Is it sound restriction, richer or leaner mixture?

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Any given engine develops it's power by moving air through the intake and exhaust. To a point the more you move the more power you make based on given factors. When you restrict the exhaust with cats, it hinders exhaust flow and power goes down over the use of a free flowing system without cats.

5. Javieret

Javieret New Member

Thanks a lot glider