free website stats program cat or no cat? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cat or no cat?

All this talk about cats and heat. Do the 2008 UC have catalytics? I can only compare my 2008 to my 1997 RK. The 08 seems to run a lot hotter or is it the fairing or me losing it. My bike is stock with V+H slip ons and a Power Commander. Any comments would be appreciated.

I cut a window almost half the size of the collector.Pull the cat material out with a little help from a small prybar.Welded the window back in.Heat shield hides the pipe.I cut mine on the inside of pipe,almost factory weld to weld,gotta look hard to see where it was done

=================================================

Hey Biffy,the 96-103 TC's just run hotter than the old evos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Biffy,the 96-103 TC's just run hotter than the old evos.
Thanks Fritz. I kind of thought that this was going to be the case. I just don't understand why a newer motor runs hotter than an older motor. I know it is bigger dispacement and more power, but still makes me wonder. If it was running righer would I notice an appreciable change of temperature?

I cut a window almost half the size of the collector.Pull the cat material out with a little help from a small prybar.Welded the window back in.Heat shield hides the pipe.I cut mine on the inside of pipe,almost factory weld to weld,gotta look hard to see where it was done
Wish I could weld!:small3d007:

==================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Lean does contribute to heat.Local muffler or welding shop can take care of the welding.Around here for 20 bucks or less.:)The cat is probably most the heat you feel

Last edited:
So Fritz, I assume the cat is near the y-pipe? That is really where I feel the largest amount of heat. I know you normally would but it is enormous compared to my 97.:)

Biffy I have the same question about cats on an 08. I cant get the same answer from all dealers. Seems to me if there was a cat, you'd need 2 because not all the exhaust goes thru any one hunk of pipe.

I am not sure on the California models, but on the 49 state models; starting in 2010 the headpipes of all the dressers started coming with catalytic converters. As you are looking at the right side of the bike, look down underneath and slightly in front of the passenger footboard. There is a section where the 2 headpipes join together and that is where the cat is located. It is substantially larger than any other section of the pipe(s). In order to remove it, I simply cut a section about 10" X 7" out of the backside of the headpipes and carefully pried it out(the cat is literally attached to the inside of the entire pipe!). I used a sawzall to cut the cat in half and took my time with a couple of chisels and screwdrivers and peeled it out a little bit at a time. Next I used an air die grinder to remove the left over pieces that were stuck all over inside the pipe. Then you use a MIG welder and weld the cut out section back into the back of the headpipe. Grind everything smooth and you can barely tell that the exhaust has been touched. The really nice thing is that the bike will sound a LOT better and if an overzealous cop stops you, you can show him your stock HD mufflers are still on the bike. If you are in a state where you think they will do emissions testing on your bike, I would think twice about removing the cat. If not, it is one of the cheapest mods you can do to get a bit more performance and sound out of a dresser.

Back