free website stats program cat or no cat? | Harley Davidson Forums

cat or no cat?

hdfozz

Hey,Everybody,I'm getting ready to do the stage 1 on my 2011 street glide 96ci.I just ordered the new air cleaner kuryakyn mach2,not shure what doebeck I;m going to get ,TFI or the Gyn.3....Here's my question, has anybody done the stage 1 and kept the stock pipes and mufflers with the cat removed?if so what is the performace like, is there a difference in the sound?does it actually run cooler? any info would be greatly app. Thanks

have to disagree ! decatted my 11 Sg and am running 4" SE tourning pipes,SE ventilator a/c and a stg 1 down load. the heat removed from my leg was huge and the bike sounds WAY better ! deeper growl and a little louder. if you can get it done, id definately recomend it. only cost me $100

I am trading my 2010 UC Limited this spring on a trike and the dealer wanted it put back to stock. I had already removed the cat from the head pipe, but I had a V&H Propipe HO 2 into 1 on it, so I never had the stock exhaust on the bike. I put the non catalyst head pipe with the stock mufflers on it today. Believe it or not, it sounds pretty decent. My wife has an UC trike with the stock head pipes(has the cat in it) and 4" Klock Werks WFB mufflers on it and my stock HD mufflers with the cat removed from the headpipe are actually louder. I wouldn't say it sounds better because the klock werks mufflers have a realy nice tone to them. I am going to ride it monday, so I will let you know how it performs compared to hers. Hers has a stage 1 with the 4" mufflers and the HD stage 1 download. Mine now has the stock air cleaner and mufflers along with the SE 255 cams. I am curious to see how it will compare to her trike. When I had the propipe on my bike, I had the PC V with auto tunes, 255 cams and V&H air cleaner on it. Anyone looking for a nice low mile Ultra (8,000 miles/$22500) drop me a line. I will throw everything in with it if I sell it outright.

Does a 09 ultra have a cat or just the lean tune?

Unless you live in CA - lean factory tune.

For OP - gutting CAT will make bike run cooler...especially w/tuner added. I'd go w/STEVE07's recommendation on GEN4 (he should know - test bike...:s ). Exhaust sound will open up a little w/o CAT, but not as good as pipe swap. Enjoy those upgrades.

Just took out the cat on my 10 FLTRX.Had stage 1 download,wimmer better sucker,fatstick(kerker)muffler with open end cap and Xied's before cat removed.Sound is deeper and little louder.Performance is up.Heat is gone.Put in new plugs and seems to be burning the same.Yes UltraNew09 you have a cat.

Well, I put a couple of hundred miles on my 2010 UC Limted since I put the stock exhaust(minus cat in headpipe) back on. I removed my stage 1 V&H VO2 Air Cleaner, 2 into 1 Propipe HO, Dynojet PC V & auto tunes. The bike is defintitely not as peppy, nor nearly as loud. I can actually notice and feel that the engine runs hotter. The fuel mileage has went up a lot. Best I ever got with the PC V & autunes was 40 MPG (once only). I just got 45 with it basically back to stock. I still have the 255 cams in it and it really runs well. I think on my new trike I will gut the headpipe/remove the cat, keep stock mufflers, do the SE 259E cams/SE race valve springs and the HD download before I even bother with trying the PC V on it. My wife has a 12 Trike with stage 1(cat still in headpipe) and the HD download and it runs really decent. I guess after this experince I am not sold on the piggy back fuel tuners (unless you absolutely have to have 1, I would say don't bother and save the money for something else).

Just took out the cat on my 10 FLTRX.Had stage 1 download,wimmer better sucker,fatstick(kerker)muffler with open end cap and Xied's before cat removed.Sound is deeper and little louder.Performance is up.Heat is gone.Put in new plugs and seems to be burning the same.Yes UltraNew09 you have a cat.

Just got back from road trip on my RG.Florida to N.C.to Northren Ohio and same route back.Bike is louder without the cat,Mileage is better(running fast thru most of trip,speeding ticket in W Virginia)made my brother-in-law mad :newsmile03:when my RG smoked his 2010 Softail with stage one and pipes.:D. My RG really turns on in 3 gear,just walked right around him and I was gone.Get rid of the cat.

How are you guys de-catting the stock pipes? are you doing it yourself by cutting a window in them or are you sending them out to a specialty shop? I think Fulsac sells them too. I would gladly pay someone 100 bucks to do it if it meant that i didnt have to spend a day in the garage doing it. Thanks.

Back