free website stats program Cat/convertor | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cat/convertor

Has anyone experienced a problem with the cats blocking exhaust flow, they appear my visuals to be susceptible....Is the heat issue real?

Has anyone experienced a problem with the cats blocking exhaust flow, they appear my visuals to be susceptible....Is the heat issue real?
Haven't had a Cat on long enough to experience blockage........They are very restrictive though and DID contribute to the heat problems at least as far as passenger comphort went, my rider complained that she thought her feet were going to burn up. removed the Cat and no more complaints. I would tend to think having a free'er flowing exhaust would also reduce head tempratures, reducing motor temps too.

I have not ridden one with cats on But normal temps on automotive cats just to light off are in the range of 400 to 600 deg F normal opperating temp after warm up cruising can reach as high as 800 to 1200 deg F. Since the same chemical process has to take place on a bike as a car for the cat to work I am guseing that heat is going to be a problem.

Relative new guy and mostly lurker here. Traded my 2007 FXDL in for an Ultra on Saturday. New bike runs much, much hotter. Even the heat from the primary is noticeable, never felt that on the lowrider. I love the new bike but it really does get hot.

Relative new guy and mostly lurker here. Traded my 2007 FXDL in for an Ultra on Saturday. New bike runs much, much hotter. Even the heat from the primary is noticeable, never felt that on the lowrider. I love the new bike but it really does get hot.

Welcome to The Forum and your first post. I guess this is the trend now with the bikes running leaner they will generate a lot more heat, coming off a Dyna to a Bagger you will notice the heat a bit more, enjoy your new ride. I see you are in Jacksonville, We should have coffee some time, Capital Jack

Back