free website stats program Cat/convertor | Harley Davidson Forums

Cat/convertor

SeaRider04

What year do HD started putting Cat/Con on touring models (RK classic) ? For those of you whose have one, how do you like them?. Given the choice of with and without Cat/con, which one would you rather have?. Thanks.

Should be 2010 models, but they had CATS on CA-models earlier. I know alot of riders change headers, or exhaust b/c they don't like dealing w/heat issues & performance problems related to CAT. I bought an 09 - so I don't have a CAT & also have TD's...

08 RKC appears to have a cat in the right muffler only. This is my first Harley so I can't make a before/after comparison. Seems to be "invisible" to me, never thought about removing it power or heat reasons, only for a bit more sound.

Catalytic converters were introduced on Touring models first in CA models in 2009 model year I believe...49 state models followed in 2010. Living with catalytic converter is really a legal and personal preference issue.

Technically it is against the law to tamper with exhaust/emission control systems...but then reality is enforcement has been spotty for now. But given the direction federal, state and local trends are going, in a few years mandatory inspections and penalties will force the HD rider's hands to leave alone.

Yeah, you can go into the Self Help and Search tabs and find the related topics to modify/remove them...but from an HDT perspective...it is for informational purposes only...self help is what it is! :pelao

Just got back from local HD dealer, I asked the same question and the salesman told me that they (HD) put them on way back in the mid of 2005 but did not say anything about it and not too many people knows ?????????????????????. I think I'm gonna try another dealer, they don't have the color that am looking for anyway, and....no, I'm not looking for removing them ....yet. ;0).

Here in Calif, I know in 2008 the CAT was in the slip on portion of the exhaust system and in 09 it was moved to the header. I guess HD realized it was too easy just to change slip ons. Now you must change the headers to get rid of the CAT. I could be wrong on the year, but it may have been as far back as 2006, but skipped here in Calif in 2007. I heard that was a year where HD would do the slip on change with no questions, because somehow it slipped through the cracks for Ca bikes that year.

they are extremely hot in the summer. looking at earlier posts on true duals and new slip on muffs. not so much for the sound but to get rid of the heat. i like it now that its turning cold but warm and hot weather is awful. bike goes to 1 cyl. at every light. time to let it breathe a little.

We've had them since 2009 in Canada. The heat that is generated by the cat is very unpleasant in the summer when riding around town. If you install a fuel management system and richen your bike, it just makes the darn cat even hotter. I installed the V&H Power Duals and eliminated 75% of the heat on the right side. Didn't notice much of a power boost but it sure perked up the Monster Ovals.

What year do HD started putting Cat/Con on touring models (RK classic) ? For those of you whose have one, how do you like them?. Given the choice of with and without Cat/con, which one would you rather have?. Thanks.
In California HD installed a Cat Muffler on the Road King Custom in 2005. The Cat Muffler was on the right side only, the left muffler didn't have catayst in it. The mufflers on this bike were very restrictive and the right muffler had a tendancy to get very hot. I removed the mufflers and installed BUB's, a SE air Cleaner and a Stage 1 download as soon as I could. The bike got a whole lot happier.

Back