free website stats program Castrol GTX Syn Blend 20/50 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Castrol GTX Syn Blend 20/50

20/50 Redline Premium oil has a little Less anti-wear product than the V-twin label has.. So says Dave the Redline tech..

Or I could of said that 20/50 Redline V-Twin label has a bit more anti-wear than their Premium oil... Dave still said that.:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

I use Castrol synth-blend in my pickup, but haven't seen it for v-twins...was it actually m/c oil?

red line 20x60 motorcycle oil is a great choice. in my opinion.

You are SO Right...

I used 20/60 Redline in Az. High Heat BUT found that in the Sport, the Premium 20/50 worked just as well..

I could not believe that my oil temps in the 2006 sport R, never got higher than 200* (using 20/60) and that was on Long HOT runs and accurately checked temperature using a thermometer... So I went back to the 20/50...

Dave at redline said This was good temp and would be a little concerned IF it went any Lower.... (never accumulation of condensation in My bikes like some that run too cool or too SHORT of rides)

I know that the V-twin Labeled engine oils from Redline DO have a Bit More anti wear in them.. So says Dave, the Redline Tech..

Good Stuff...:newsmile036:

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, help me out because I have no clue. Was the 2006 Sport R a "88" and did it have o2 sensors.

I have often been told to use nothing but oil rated for air cooled engines, bikes, or diesel if in a pinch. Is synthetic good for the heat of a V-twin? I know HD is expensive but I figure it is proven for the application.

I have often been told to use nothing but oil rated for air cooled engines, bikes, or diesel if in a pinch. Is synthetic good for the heat of a V-twin? I know HD is expensive but I figure it is proven for the application.

The oils rated for a V Twin contain more of the elements to prevent wear than the automotive oils do. There are many better choices than the HD oils in any event.
Synthetic oil will give you added protection as far as oil breakdown. See his chart for a comparison.

Oil-Breakdown.jpg

I have been under the belief that oil labeled as "V-Twin" just means it is safe to be used ALSO with wet clutches. Of course it can be used in the engine but it also can be used in the primary or bikes that have combo primary/engine oil systems. That's what it implies right on the container. It can be used in the primary or with engines that share wet clutch with engine oil.

If your using the oil in the engine ONLY, I don't think the words "V-Twin oil" really has any benefit over a quality oil that does not say V-Twin on the label..

Unless you happen to WANT friction modifiers in your crankcase, or see a benefit for them in your engine,, why use/need it.?

I think it implies more on the weight of the oil, as most V-twin (meaning air cooled) run with a 20w-50 oil, and therefore since the majority of V-twin designs on the road are HD's, that the oils are marketed in that direction. Most all motorcyles sans the HD, use a shared sump design, and most (air cooled) run or spec a 10w-40. the only difference in most of the oils tailored for use in motorcycles is simply the weight of the oils, The same additives that are in 10w-40 "4 cyl extreme racing win if you use me" oil are in the 20w-50 V-twin "super oil that makes you and your HD cooler than anyone else" oils. It's just marketing. Nothing more.

Bubbie, help me out because I have no clue. Was the 2006 Sport R a "88" and did it have o2 sensors.

No 02 sensors and 2006 was the last year for the carbed bikes. ALL newer HD bikes came ONLY FI..

My 2006 sportster Roadster is a 1200 cc. came with all the SE stuff.. Pistons, heads and cams are higher performance than the stock 1200 sportster.

signed....BUBBIE

I just had the 1000 mile done on my 2011 SG and they put a full syn Screaming Eagle brand in mine. IN fact the same oil went into the tranny as well. Not sure if that is ideal but I like the convenience of having one oil on the shelf. It seems to have quieted the engine but they said it would make the tranny noiser. I may hear just a touch more whine out of mine but not enough to talk about. I still have the stock muffs as well.

Back