free website stats program Castrol GTX Syn Blend 20/50 | Harley Davidson Forums

Castrol GTX Syn Blend 20/50

franka

07 Road King with 24,000 miles and I've always used Castrol 20/50 until today. Went to O'Reilly's to buy my Castrol and noticed something I haven't seen before Castrol Syn Blend? I have never been sold on straight synthetic since I change my oil every 2,500 miles and don't believe I get that much added protection for three times the cost, again, especially if I change oil every 2,500 miles. However, the Syn Blend (part synthetic) was 5.99 a quart vs. 4.99 for regular Castrol 20/50. Bottom line I bought it and my question is "has anyone tried this product or have any comments regarding a product that is part synthetic"?

Are these products specific for VTwin air cooled motors?

I have put the castro dino 20/50 in a drag bike I have had for 25 yrs,so if the price is right would try it.

No, just 20/50 grade partial synthetic, nothing says specific to V Twin but neither does the regular Castrol 20/50

Then its probably not motorcycle oil and would advise sticking with V-Twin oil.

If you use a quality FULL synthetic (not part syn) you should be able to get 5,000 miles out of it instead of 2,500. You would save yourself time and money in the long run if you switched. In the mean time your engine would get the increased high temp protection that a full synthetic would offer.

07 Road King with 24,000 miles and I've always used Castrol 20/50 until today. Went to O'Reilly's to buy my Castrol and noticed something I haven't seen before Castrol Syn Blend? I have never been sold on straight synthetic since I change my oil every 2,500 miles and don't believe I get that much added protection for three times the cost, again, especially if I change oil every 2,500 miles. However, the Syn Blend (part synthetic) was 5.99 a quart vs. 4.99 for regular Castrol 20/50. Bottom line I bought it and my question is "has anyone tried this product or have any comments regarding a product that is part synthetic"?
Let everyone know how it works out.

Let us know about the noise in the top end. I tried full syn one time. Top end sounded likr it was flying apart. Drained it out about 1200 mls.. Went back to Rotella triple, never thought about syn again

Needed sayings on Oils for me

AIR COOLED or DIESEL,,, Full Synthetic..

I won't play around with trying Different oil.. I've Only gone for the BEST PROVEN Oil... I chose Redline Products and stay with the Winner it is... I don't want to experiment indiscriminately on my bike..... I'll agree to let others do that for me.:newsmile093:

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

I have been under the belief that oil labeled as "V-Twin" just means it is safe to be used ALSO with wet clutches. Of course it can be used in the engine but it also can be used in the primary or bikes that have combo primary/engine oil systems. That's what it implies right on the container. It can be used in the primary or with engines that share wet clutch with engine oil.

If your using the oil in the engine ONLY, I don't think the words "V-Twin oil" really has any benefit over a quality oil that does not say V-Twin on the label..

Unless you happen to WANT friction modifiers in your crankcase, or see a benefit for them in your engine,, why use/need it.?

Back