free website stats program Careful with your centerstand | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Careful with your centerstand

sneyers, the reason I ask is because I have the HD center stand. Although it is ajustable I keep it set just about on it's lowest setting meaning that the back tire is on the ground and still very stable. It's takes a pretty strong effort to get it off on this setting on level ground and I find most of the time it's just easier to start the engine and drive it off. On the higher settings where it lifts the back tire off the ground it would take a tornado to get it off unassisted. I haven't ever owned but this one for this bike so I can not relate to the other brands but I know that with mine I have more worries about getting it off the stand than I do with it inadvertently coming off by itself. If it is too much of a forward slope I probably would have a problem getting it on the stand to begin with.

In answer to why someone would want a center stand let me tell you what advantages I have found with mine and on bikes in the past over my 38 years of riding. First, it makes confined parking a breeze. It also makes cleaning wheels easy even in front of a motel for those extended trips where you just can't take the filth one week longer. It makes working and cleaning on a bike easier with it upright and much handier than a jack lift. In the event of an emergency on the road such as the need to remove wheel, it beats laying your baby on it's side. The great part is that you have that ability even if you never use it...it's bought, paid for, is tucked in to where it's not even seen, and something you only wish you had if the need arises. Take my word for it...it's much easier to catch a ride on the side of the road with a tire and wheel than with a whole stranded bike to get the problem solved . In all I think after the money spent for non useful glitter, that most have no problem with spending on their bike, this item is really nothing much in cost but the pay off and advantage can be huge. Just personal preference I guess but to me I guess I put a high value on convenience.

Well written post...all I can say is I have a Sporty and wish I could retrofit one on. Used a centerstand on my Metric, I put it on as it was an option for my model sportbike and for those very reasons I really like 'em...much better investment for your money (ala RichardS) than all the "bling" we have a tendancy to pile on our bikes with...Okay-Okay maybe a little "bling" is justified :42:

The ones I have seen become the lowest point of the bike and I already scrape my board mounts when cornering hard.Is there a model that tucks higher?

Steve07,
I don't know which centerstands you've been looking at but I can tell you from my experience, the centerstand I have tucks up nice under the frame and the only way you could scrape it on a turn is if the back wheel fell off. I agree with everything FifthGear wrote. He is spot on with his comments. Take a look at my bike in the picture, the attachment for the stand bolts up inside the frame cross-brace and the pivit bolt hangs down about 1/8" below the cross brace. I hardly think that is low enough to worry about. I've had the centerstand for some time now with no other problems and a whole lot of convenience. Regardless of my mishap I will keep a centerstand. I may change to the HD stand though after reading FifthGears reply.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
The ones I have seen become the lowest point of the bike and I already scrape my board mounts when cornering hard.Is there a model that tucks higher?

I assure you that I've had many sparks flying on Harleys but all I can say is your hips will be scraping before the HD center stand will make sparks fly. :s

I'd like to add that I'm not a commuter any more. I'd commute on a pogo stick first if that meant I could not afford to keep my bike in shape to hit the road.There have been times in years past where I didn't own anything but two wheels. But now in my older age I've reserved my bike for one thing...the passion of touring and traveling. I guess I've realized in my meager life that nothing is more important than what makes one feel alive...something that makes life worth while. For me that has always been the passion of hitting the open road. I have so many stories to tell, so many memories to look back on. I've had a great life in the realm of motorcycles...nothing in life has given me more pleasure in life than touring. I also realize that I have learned a lot from the ancient days of strapping 50 pounds of gear on a ten pound rack and hitting the road. I have it figured out, for me, the things that make life on the road more enjoyable, more pleasurable with the least amount of stress, trouble, pain, and inconvenience. The center stand is just one small part of making life on the road and at home so much less of a pain.

I assure you that I've had many sparks flying on Harleys but all I can say is your hips will be scraping before the HD center stand will make sparks fly. :s

I'd like to add that I'm not a commuter any more. I'd commute on a pogo stick first if that meant I could not afford to keep my bike in shape to hit the road.There have been times in years past where I didn't own anything but two wheels. But now in my older age I've reserved my bike for one thing...the passion of touring and traveling. I guess I've realized in my meager life that nothing is more important than what makes one feel alive...something that makes life worth while. For me that has always been the passion of hitting the open road. I have so many stories to tell, so many memories to look back on. I've had a great life in the realm of motorcycles...nothing in life has given me more pleasure in life than touring. I also realize that I have learned a lot from the ancient days of strapping 50 pounds of gear on a ten pound rack and hitting the road. I have it figured out, for me, the things that make life on the road more enjoyable, more pleasurable with the least amount of stress, trouble, pain, and inconvenience. The center stand is just one small part of making life on the road and at home so much less of a pain.

Hey FifthGear, ever been a PR guy...you sound like the inner voice in a Harley rider's head...:D

Still learning. I'll look at different ones.

Well, what a surprise. I went to the HD site and did a search for the center stand in about every possible way with no results. Can anyone tell me what HD calls it? I have a 09 ultra.

The harley catalog calls it " Chrome center stand". part number 91573-06. There might be a problem for you since it says it fits 99-08. I presume with the 09 frame change and exhaust routing it would require a new stand design. That one may be a wait and see.

Thanks for the part number FifthGear. I suspect you will be correct. With the changes in the new frame it likely explains why nothing showed up while searching under 09 touring. When it becomes available I will install one, thanks to your ealier post outling the benefits. I never would have thought about them until pointed them out. Thanks again.

I have the wheeldock stand for my '09 Road King. I have touched it down hard in a righthand corner so now I only use it for maintenance.

Am wondering if anyone has direct experience with the H-D '09 center stand (91573-09 ) as I would like a stand I can leave on the bike without compromising cornering clearance. Thanks.

Back