Carburetor gasket.

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by pitbull883, Aug 30, 2017.

1. pitbull883

pitbull883 Member

Would a missing gasket between the air cleaner housing and the carburetor cause a lean condition? I'm getting a pop at the carburetor sometimes. My gasket is sitting on top of my tool box. I'm sure it's not doing me any good there. I'll put it back on the bike soon. Just wondering if that could cause a problem.

2. flusher

flusher Active Member

I would say yes

3. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Could be sucking some air, gasket is there for a reason.

Blue Wide Glide likes this.
  4. joel

joel Junior Member

It is unfiltered air. So getting it back in place is a priority.
    But in front of anything that controls air fuel mixture, shouldn't make it lean.
    It could make the popping louder because of the gap, do to the air cleaner assembly being able to muffle the sound.

5. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

10-4 on what joel said. Think of it as running w/o an air cleaner, just not near as drastic.
    tourbox

6. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Actually joel if your sucking more air into the engine you have the potential of leaning it out more.
    Case in point, a free breathing or less restricted air cleaner/filter lets more air into the mix. If your not adding more fuel to compensate the added air has the potential to lean it out.

7. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If the gasket was there from the factory there is a reason for it however I don't think it would make that much difference to the air flow through the carb
    If it were mine I would refit the gasket and see if it makes a difference

Brian

Breeze3at likes this.
  8. pitbull883

pitbull883 Member

Ok, I put the gasket on and noticed that the hose that goes between the carb and voes was in terrible shape. It was cracked and fit loosely. I replaced that too. Unfortunately I have too much to do tonight so I can't go for a ride. If these 2 things are not the cure, they needed to be done anyways.

9. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The vacuum hose to the voes would cause running issues if it was leaking air but that would be at higher revs

Brian

10. pitbull883

pitbull883 Member

Thanks for your input everyone