free website stats program carb | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

carb

pulled out the petcock

Gas was OK when you drained the tank? No water?

Check for intake leaks. If none, I would suggest pulling the carb off the bike and completely rebuilding it. Find out what jets are in there and tune the carb base on status of Stage 1 up-grades. For fairly standard configuration, a #45/46 low and 180 or 185 fast should be good for a start. You might want a couple of washers under the needle to move it up a bit. See the self help stuff here for more:

Fuel and Carb Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community

When you have the carb apart, check the hole in the slide. A 1/8" drill bit should NOT fit. If it does, someone has drilled it out and the hole may be too large. Check the diaphram on the slide carefully, and open up and check the accelerator pump diaphram too. If the jets are the right size already, just clean them up with carb spray, chase the orifices with the carb spray through the red extension and reassemble. Make sure that the idle air mixture screw is uncovered on the bottom of the carb. Should be backed out about 2 1/2 turns. Put the carb back on the bike and try it.

TQ

if you were in the same part of the world as me then id say that your carb is icing up
but all depends on what your weather conditions are normally happens between 3 and 13 degrees c and high moisture content in the air
the moisture in the air freezes and blocks the jets most noticeable when the engine is not fully hot
if you stop for a few minuts after going 5 to 10 miles then the heat from the engine melts the ice crystals and all is well for the rest of the day

was bad on the softail but mikini hsr 42 made it a lot better (better shape of throat)
dyna with stock carb suffers a bit at this time of year but added a fuel additive that should help silkolene fst pro (wifes bike not allowing it to be as fast as mine)
fst pro was developed by silkolene in conjunction with kawasaki uk as some of there models had a lot of icing problems in the early 80s pretty sure they fited kehin carbs
hope this helps

Brian

Just for giggles; try running the first few miles with the choke (ENRICHER) at least partially on to see if it still does it, if so then it is just a bit too lean for the cold engine. Mine will cough a bit and/or be sluggish when cold so I run the first few minutes with the enricher half out and all is well. I haven't changed anything because after it is warm it runs great and gets 50+ mpg.

Found the fix the fuel line had to big a dip in it switched it out with a s&s 45% line to get the dip out of the line and bingo it runs great thanks,john

Back