free website stats program Carb Still Flooding | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb Still Flooding

I am at end of rope! Carb has been apart several times cleaned with carb cleaner blown out. New HD needle valve. It's been to shop checked and rechecked. Float level was lowered to .503 spec says .461. Carb was rejetted and adjusted on dyno. Bowl is clean when removed. Have checked the do hicky valve vent and that seems ok. I cleaned that and can blow lots of air thru it.

About every 3rd ride carb will flood gas runs out air cleaner it will do that for a hour or 2. Very miserable riding especially in city.

I am out of ideas. Shop says buy new carb.

Have you checked the float weight? If it has a pin hole or nick it could be filling with fuel and the weight keeps the needle valve open; it would dry out if you laid it aside while you cleaned the carb and then fill back up when you reinstalled the carb; which could take a couple rides or so.

Seems strange it does it every few rides. Possible the seat itself where you installed the needle or even some crud from the tank making it's way into that area of the needle and seat.

Have a buddy with an 02 Heritage that is doing the same thing. The dealer found debris in the tank from the formation of rust. They flushed the tank and cleaned the carb but the problem has come back a couple of times since. He can ride several times without
problems, then the carb starts puking gas. I think he still has gunk getting in the carb from the tank but wouldn't the screen in the petcock catch that stuff?

I had the same thing happen to my superglide,tried 10 different things.Believe it or not put a new petcock on the tank and it never happened again.Might try that,I had a buddy that got me a new pull off,so it didn't cost me anything.

E10 gas will eat at rubber gas lines and could be going into the carb. Try a new gas line and a in line filter, much cheaper than a carb.

We are going to see alot more problems with the carbed bikes due to the bad gas

I am at end of rope! Carb has been apart several times cleaned with carb cleaner blown out. New HD needle valve. It's been to shop checked and rechecked. Float level was lowered to .503 spec says .461. Carb was rejetted and adjusted on dyno. Bowl is clean when removed. Have checked the do hicky valve vent and that seems ok. I cleaned that and can blow lots of air thru it.

About every 3rd ride carb will flood gas runs out air cleaner it will do that for a hour or 2. Very miserable riding especially in city.

I am out of ideas. Shop says buy new carb.

Put in a needle AND seat and a new float. You said you had a new needle but get the seat too. You might also check your tank vent to make sure it's clear. expansion in the tank can do this if it is clogged and depending on how full and the temp, it will only show up under certain conditions, not every time

UPDATE: Removed fuel tank strainer there was considerable dirt/rust/very fine sand on it.

It almost looks like some thing that could have came from a dirty fuel nozzle from wind blow dust and sand. Some of it could have been a rust. It may have come from a freshly filled service station tank.

QUESTION: How fine is the HD in tank strainer? I have looked at in line filters but I think the tank filter is very fine. Does anyone know the spec on the in tank strainer?

I can not see the amount of gas puking out carb equalling how fine that mesh is and I see nothing in bowl when I pull that.

I have seen many times where something fine enough to pass through the strainer in the tank will be enough to unseat the fuel needle and cause the problem you are having. My advice would be to pull the tank and thoroughly clean and flush it out , then add new gas to it.

Back