free website stats program Carb Removal Argument | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb Removal Argument

I am having a argument with a shop that I took my 94' bagger to about steps to remove the carb for cleaning and rejetting. It is a 94' FLHTC stock 80" w/K&N filter and air cleaner. The 1st question is do you have to take the air cleaner backing plate off the carb to rejet it and the second question is do you have to take the carb out to rejet and clean it?

BTW, thanks to all that helped me out B4 with the timing and all the other stuff. Finally got it up and running. Seems it was a really simple rejetting and cleaning- all I can I can say is . . . .OH WELL!!!! Shoulda had a V8

I am having a argument with a shop that I took my 94' bagger to about steps to remove the carb for cleaning and rejetting. It is a 94' FLHTC stock 80" w/K&N filter and air cleaner. The 1st question is do you have to take the air cleaner backing plate off the carb to rejet it and the second question is do you have to take the carb out to rejet and clean it?

BTW, thanks to all that helped me out B4 with the timing and all the other stuff. Finally got it up and running. Seems it was a really simple rejetting and cleaning- all I can I can say is . . . .OH WELL!!!! Shoulda had a V8

Rather difficult or even next to impossible to get at the float bowl without removing the backing plate and entire air cleaner for that matter.

To rejet and clean the float bowl where sediment accumulates, it can be done without removing the carb once the backing plate is off.

Rather difficult or even next to impossible to get at the float bowl without removing the backing plate and entire air cleaner for that matter.

To rejet and clean the float bowl where sediment accumulates, it can be done without removing the carb once the backing plate is off.
Glider,
Like always you have come thru for me. That is what I thought too but since I took it to the shop to determine the low idle problem from the previous problem a lot has happened. Like now my motor is SHOT!!! The bolts that hold the air cleaner backing plate on came loose and down in the motor they went. And I am sure you know the results of that.
Have a good'n and thx

Sorry to hear about this. Did the bolts tear up the motor internally or are they just lodged in the intake maybe?

Yes it did. :( Pistons, heads , valves, rods, flywheels and after they showed me that I quit listening and just got . . . . . .well MAD!!! So that is where I am. Checking w/ Hot Shot Motorworks, S&S and a few others to see what options are B4 for me. And the saga continues
And thanks again for the help

Hope they are compensating you for the damage, otherwise get a lawyer, even small claims court.

We haven't got that far yet. Partly 'cause I wanted to make sure of what the steps were from others and they, the shop, haven't been around to 'chat' with them.. But come Tue. the 'rubber will meet the pavement' I am sure.
thx again

Your probably frustrated with your dealer but the HD big book Catalog has evo motors for $2995. IMO a better value than S&S or any others unless of course you want more power...
Checked that out but I have tweeked the motor just alil bit. But it is an option
thx

twotallwyo, what kinda air filter backing plate do you have??? I always run the arlen ness big sucker because the design allows no screws bolts or anything inside the air cleaner, I would also advise the shop you have full intentions on hiring a lawyer if they dont make things right...

We haven't got that far yet. Partly 'cause I wanted to make sure of what the steps were from others and they, the shop, haven't been around to 'chat' with them.. But come Tue. the 'rubber will meet the pavement' I am sure.
thx again

You might want to be a little more proactive with the shop regarding the repair and subsequent in warranty repair.

CYA...you better make sure you have all your paperwork together, and remember, a reputable shop will have insurance to cover this, and should compensate you for at least the price of the HD whole motor, but likely not without a fight, so you may need a lawyer to sort out the labor and damages. :newsmile07:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back