free website stats program Carb problems I think | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb problems I think

WOW!! I did as you all advised cleaning the entire carb, replaced the jets with a 45 slow and a 185 main (thats all the local HD dealer had), drained the tank cleaned the valve and replaced the fuel line and guess what she runs like a champ!!
YOU GUYS REALLY KNOW YOUR STUFF
Thanks alot

Great!! Last thing, did you uncover the idle-air adjustment screw? If not, you might want to do this so you can tweak that setting. The factory setting will be too lean.

TQ

I now have a new problem the bike runs great once I get her started but I am having a heck of a time starting her. It doesn't seem to matter if the choke is in or out it just doesn't seem to want to fire and I am getting some back firing. Any ideas???

I now have a new problem the bike runs great once I get her started but I am having a heck of a time starting her. It doesn't seem to matter if the choke is in or out it just doesn't seem to want to fire and I am getting some back firing. Any ideas???

Sounds like spark. Have you changed out the plugs and wires? If not, you might want to.

Spark Plug X Reference Chart - Harley Davidson Community

What are you using for ignition, OEM or aftermarket (if this what kind)?

Harley Ignitions - Harley Davidson Community

You might want to check (replace!) the little hose from the VOES to the carb too.

TQ

Best thing you could do at this point being the bike is new to you is as TQ suggested with the plugs and wires. Put in 2 new plugs and some plug wires too, after all it is a 93 and you have no history of the bikes services. Go from there instead of guessing.

TQ was right it was in the spark, changed the plugs and wires and it works great starts right up and runs strong. Had a great day riding in warm South Florida. THANKS TO ALL

I would put the jets back in that were there in the first place.....Then put in a brand new set of intake seals..And do not try to reseal the ones that were in there in the first place...Once they get real hot they take shape to what they are sealing to....Let the engine warm up, even if it means givin it the gas for a few...Just lock the idle screw..
Now set the idle to 1000RPMS...No, if ands or buts, 1000RPM's. Now adjust the fuel air mixture.. If this does not solve the problem, then move to other areas.....

P.S..........The Enrichner should be used only for a few moments, then turn up the throttle a bit and lock the idle screw and let er warm up that way......Pulling out the enrichner for too long only dumps a lot of extra fuel in there that ya dont need....

Back