free website stats program Carb poppin' 2003 Sportster 883 | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb poppin' 2003 Sportster 883

mcbeauner19

Hello,

I'm a new Harley owner and a new motorcycle owner. I'm quickly learning as much as i possibly can in order to keep my baby runnin like a champ. I'm currently getting a lot of what sounds like 'carb popping.' I've got a 2003 Sportster 883. The popping occurs when I've been riding for long and short time periods and then come to a stop...I wait at a light or stop sign and the moment I give it some throttle, even the tiniest bit, i get a pop. So hard it almost kills the engine. On occasion the engine will die due to the pop (if I'm not on top of throttle). This doesn't occur during every ride but I would definitely classify it as "consistant." Couple questions to anyone who like to field them:

1. Is this normal for the carb'd evos
2. If not, what could this be due to? Improper fuel/air mix?
3. Is this harmful to the bike in any way?

Thanks for your help!

Hello,

I'm a new Harley owner and a new motorcycle owner. I'm quickly learning as much as i possibly can in order to keep my baby runnin like a champ. I'm currently getting a lot of what sounds like 'carb popping.' I've got a 2003 Sportster 883. The popping occurs when I've been riding for long and short time periods and then come to a stop...I wait at a light or stop sign and the moment I give it some throttle, even the tiniest bit, i get a pop. So hard it almost kills the engine. On occasion the engine will die due to the pop (if I'm not on top of throttle). This doesn't occur during every ride but I would definitely classify it as "consistant." Couple questions to anyone who like to field them:

1. Is this normal for the carb'd evos
2. If not, what could this be due to? Improper fuel/air mix?
3. Is this harmful to the bike in any way?

Thanks for your help!

Any mods. done to it what so ever? Any carb work lately? And no it's not normal for it to be backfireing/popping thru the carb.

pipes are slip ons, no baffle...as far as the cleaner all i know is that it's screaming eagle...how can i tell without speaking to the previous owner or taking to the shop?

i believe it's a stage 1 kit but i'm not sure...

Last edited by a moderator:
Stage 1 you will be able to see the filter element looking behind the chrome air cleaner cover. If it isn't a stage 1, you'll probably see a black plastic housing back there.

Post part numbers and we can check.

You NEED baffles in the mufflers too.

These guys helped me with the same thing. I had a 2002 Sportster 883 with screaming eagle breather & pipes, all dealer installed. Dealer didn't have enough sense to rejet, so I rejetted per their recommendations and it now runs great.

When I talked to the dealer about the same problem they said you can adjust the brass air fuel mix screw but you will never totally get rid of the problem.

Hi
I have an 06 883C. I have just fitted the SE stage one air filter kit from the dealer. I now get the popping.

No other mods done.

What should i do now

Thanks.

Mick

I install v & h, fuel pack and sc stage 1 intake and sometimes a get a lot of popping, sometimes I don't is this something i should be concern about/

Back