free website stats program carb or fuel problems | Harley Davidson Forums

carb or fuel problems

hdog

i have a 2000 electraglide classic,it coughs on low end take off in every gear like it has bad gas,i have drained the gas,changed the air filter,fuel filter,o rings on intake manifold,spark plugs,cleaned out pin holes on primary jet but not secondary jet because i couldnt get it out,checked vacumn line and fuel line,any sugesstions?

Did you double check your intake seal work? I've had nagging intake leaks in the past that took 2 or 3 try's to finally get them to seat and seal properly. Use WD while running to spray around the seals to verify the leak isn't still there. Also check the diaphram for the slide by removing the top cover of the carb for a pinched or torn diaphram. A torn diaphram will exhibit driveability issues like you mention in all gears. Intake leaks will usually cough when starting off from a dead stop. Keep us posted if you find the issue.

Did you double check your intake seal work? I've had nagging intake leaks in the past that took 2 or 3 try's to finally get them to seat and seal properly. Use WD while running to spray around the seals to verify the leak isn't still there. Also check the diaphragm for the slide by removing the top cover of the carb for a pinched or torn diaphram. A torn diaphram will exhibit driveability issues like you mention in all gears. Intake leaks will usually cough when starting off from a dead stop. Keep us posted if you find the issue.

Great advice here. Also check the spray coming from the accelerator pump and make sure that it is spraying straight down the throat of the carb. You can use a pair of needle nose to adjust the spray left or right as needed. Also replace the accelerator pump diaphragm.

All good advice. Along with checking the accelerator nozzel spraying stright down the bore I would be looking at the accerator pump diaphram. With the E10 gas here in Fl I have replaced mine a couple of times in 3 yrs.

You may also need to check your main slide diaphram. This is a bit of a chore, but if there is a crack or pinhole in it, you will never adjust it out.

I am assuming you have NOT drilled the vacuum port on the slide to 1/8", right. If you have, low end problems can be a result.

TQ

Back