free website stats program Carb/ Needle help | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb/ Needle help

Conde54

Pulled the carb off my bike the other day. notice that whoever had it off the last time shimmed the needle with some small washers. the needle has 5 grooves with a clip it it to hold it in place with 2 washers below the clip (holding it higher) and one about the clip (i dont know why) the needle sticks a little with and without these shims. i was curious if maybe this is not the right needle for the carb. anyone have any advice?

Pulled the carb off my bike the other day. notice that whoever had it off the last time shimmed the needle with some small washers. the needle has 5 grooves with a clip it it to hold it in place with 2 washers below the clip (holding it higher) and one about the clip (i dont know why) the needle sticks a little with and without these shims. i was curious if maybe this is not the right needle for the carb. anyone have any advice?

What kind of carb is it?

Check the self help section for your c v carb, may need to start over re tuning this one too many spacers on needle does it run good or bad like this?

i took the one washer pff the top of the clip because i didnt see any reason to have it on. and i took one off the bottom. Never really ran poorly but does seem to be running a little better now. My only concern was when the guy rejetted it for the screamin eagle exhaust he just threw some needle on that was lyin around and shimmed it to work. -Considering trying to locate a carb kit with new jets and neddle and a dif accelerator pump. any recomendations?

I would stick with the stock jets (46 low) and stock needle with 2 washers under it. More than likely the extra washer was put there like some do to store it but I feel it's a bad place to store and it will slow the rise of the piston some. It runs better with stock parts than with the other DJ kit or the earlier sporty needle (27094-88 ). Many use the older sporty needle because of the faster taper being they didn't have an accelerator pump but I find it a bit rich when used in the CV WITH the accel pump. The stocker with the shims gives good response.
If you have a DJ kit in the carb, it should be stamped differently and measures are metric over the standard jets. It's bad to mix parts from stock and DJ kits.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll be checking back to see if anyone else has comments.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the needle was sticking? Should I drill out my slide?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where was it sticking,was it in the jet at the bottom or was the slide sticking in the bore?

Don't drill the slide out, it can cause hesitations in colder temps when opened suddenly.

Where was it sticking,was it in the jet at the bottom or was the slide sticking in the bore?

Don't drill the slide out, it can cause hesitations in colder temps when opened suddenly.

When the needle sits in the slide it sticks slightly when i push it up with my finger. I would assume once I put the spring and diaphram back on it would stick pretty bad. so thats why i was wondering if i had the wrong needle or needed to drill the slide a pinch bigger. a friend of mine told me he drilled it and it woke her right up.

Back