free website stats program Carb leaking gas | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb leaking gas

mbrown

I have a 91' Softail and which has not benn run for over a year. Bike runs great but the card leaks gas after you shut it off at the very bottom of the housing. Will this require a rebuid if so how difficult is it to rebuild these carbs?

If it hasn't been run in a while like you say, I think you answered your own question, rebuild the carb, it isn't difficult to do.

Check the self help section for some ideas.

I have a 91' Softail and which has not benn run for over a year. Bike runs great but the card leaks gas after you shut it off at the very bottom of the housing. Will this require a rebuid if so how difficult is it to rebuild these carbs?

I have a '91 Dyna with the CV40 carb. I agree with what Glider told you. Rebuild the carb. Very easy, but get the Factory Service Manual for your model and year, and follow that.

As SOP, though, turn off your tank valve whenever you turn off the engine. In fact, you might turn off the valve as you get to your destination, and let the engine burn up the gasoline in the float bowl. Don't forget to open the valve when you go to start the bike.

TQ

I would rebuild the carb also.Sounds like the float needle is stuck or damaged due to the old gas
When you disasemble the carb,make sure all the jets are clear.Gummed up gas can destroy the jets,float needle and seat,etc--.Sometimes the old gas will turn into a gummy like substance or will crystalize into a hard matter.
Check the fuel lines also and replace the fuel filter.

Anybody know of a download link from a service manual that would help me with the carb rebuild?

I have the HD Factory Service Manual for my '91 Dyna and it has a great section on the carb. I suggest you get the manual for your bike. You will not be dissappointed.

The only thing they may not cover is uncovering and adjusting the idle-air mixture. I think Glider has a great self-help piece on this in the tip pages.

TQ

I rebuilt the carb today and it starts rignt up. The big issue is gas is pouring out the overflow tube as soon as I turn the tank on. Any ideas on what I did wrong or what is causing the gas to come out?

Back