Carb jetting

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by rgoot01, Nov 27, 2012.

1. rgoot01

rgoot01 Member

I was wondering if I could maybe get some advice regarding jetting. I live at 7000 ft and notice that my plugs are constantly dry fouling. Now I know that stop and go traffic will cause this and certain riding situations can cause this also. With that said stop and go traffic is not a factor since I live in a town of 5500 and only three stop lights. I have a cv carb on it and it is an '89 elctra glide. The main is 175 and the pilot 45. What direction do I want to go to get it to lean it up some and which jet or both do I need to replace?

I know that from bike to bike there are variables that will allow the jet sizes to vary from one carb to the next, but can someone living at a similiar elevation point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Robert

2. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

Do you have any Mods to exh.,a/c,cam, etc.? More info can help.
    tourbox

3. rgoot01

rgoot01 Member

Its just bone stock, nothing engine wise or exhaust has been done to it.

4. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

If the bike runs well I think I would try lowering the main jet needle if you want it to go leaner. I'm not familiar with the term dry fouling. Usually if a plug is fouled it is wet at the tip.

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If you want to lean it out a wee bit across the range the try a smaller slow jet as it supplies fuel through the whole of the rev range
    By 1993 hd had reduced the slow jet size on big twins to a 42 most people fit a 45 as it is at times too lean so perhaps that would be a good place to start

Brian