free website stats program Carb jetting | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb jetting

rgoot01

I was wondering if I could maybe get some advice regarding jetting. I live at 7000 ft and notice that my plugs are constantly dry fouling. Now I know that stop and go traffic will cause this and certain riding situations can cause this also. With that said stop and go traffic is not a factor since I live in a town of 5500 and only three stop lights. I have a cv carb on it and it is an '89 elctra glide. The main is 175 and the pilot 45. What direction do I want to go to get it to lean it up some and which jet or both do I need to replace?

I know that from bike to bike there are variables that will allow the jet sizes to vary from one carb to the next, but can someone living at a similiar elevation point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Robert

If the bike runs well I think I would try lowering the main jet needle if you want it to go leaner. I'm not familiar with the term dry fouling. Usually if a plug is fouled it is wet at the tip.

If you want to lean it out a wee bit across the range the try a smaller slow jet as it supplies fuel through the whole of the rev range
By 1993 hd had reduced the slow jet size on big twins to a 42 most people fit a 45 as it is at times too lean so perhaps that would be a good place to start

Brian

Back