free website stats program Carb help needed | Harley Davidson Forums

Carb help needed

Canex

Hi does anyone know which model carb this is as it doesn't seem to have any make on apart from number: 0626

Sorry forgot to say XLH1000 1984

Attachments

• 2010-05-19 16.53.38.jpg
    2010-05-19 16.53.38.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 2010-05-19 16.53.46.jpg
    2010-05-19 16.53.46.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2010-05-19 16.56.07.jpg
    2010-05-19 16.56.07.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 39
Thanks, it seems to be running weak, popping & spluttering & wont rev over 4000rpm - any ideas?
also I assume the air filter shouldnt look like this photo - what can I clean it with or where can I get another from?

Attachments

• 2010-05-19 16.53.31.jpg
    2010-05-19 16.53.31.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 19
Im not 100% sure of this but didnt the older carbs have an adjustable main jet or there was an adjustable main available for them
I think canex needs to get the correct manual to cover the bike or just the carb othewise he may get confused with info relating to the other kehine carbs fitted to the later bikes

Brian

Aye im sure your right i just dont know enough about the older bikes

Brian

Hi again,
took the plugs out & they look black - suggesting rich.
The jets appear to be 165 main and 52 (or 62 cant quite decide)
Cleaned jets but still missing/popping & wont rev above 4,000 PRM but will tick over fine.
Any ideas??

cheers
Chris

Hi again,
took the plugs out & they look black - suggesting rich.
The jets appear to be 165 main and 52 (or 62 cant quite decide)
Cleaned jets but still missing/popping & wont rev above 4,000 PRM but will tick over fine.
Any ideas??

cheers
Chris

I would suspect an intake leak (and possible also an exhaust leak) based on the symptoms you are describing. In the self-help pages are a couple of procedure to check for both.

Also, try dumping some gas out of the float drain into a clear glass jar to see what you are getting out. You may have gotten some bad gas and if you have a bunch of water in there, you will fight that battle for a while until you just clean out the tank and rebuild the carb.

TQ

Just rode it again & it's worse :(
I suspect there might be an electrical problem as well as it keeps cutting out.
Back to the drawing board.

:) SORTED :)

Changed the condenser & wahay it suddenly runs fine!!
I don't know why but my bike has points - according to my workshop manual it should have electronic ignition (1983/4) someone must have retrograded it!
At least it's running much better now - still not ultra smooth but will rev much more freely and doesn't keep cutting out & missing.:D

That condenser serves two purposes, it causes abrupt change to when iginition point opens and closes in conjunction with coil (supresses spurious "ringing oscillation") for stronger single spark and protects the points from arcing damage. And yes, one of the symptoms of failure is high speed miss or intermittant miss. Points and condenser was in transition in the 80's (for motorcycles)...cages had already migrated towards electronic ignition systems.

Back