free website stats program carb changeout | Harley Davidson Forums

carb changeout

weblefty

I have a carb that is broken (00FXDX) and I am replacing it with a carb from a 00 FLH. It appears to be the exact same carb except for a couple of differences.

1. The linkage is slightly different, but it appears that it is just an additional bracket riveted onto the throttle linkage. I can take that off no problem.

2. This second difference concerns me a bit. There is an additional (maybe vacuum) inlet on the rear throat of the carb. If you open the butterfly you can see the pin point opening. I have never seen this before and I suspect that it is a California spec carb and may have something to do with emissions. At any rate, I have nothing to connect it to.

Here are the part #'s

Original broken carb: 27421-99a
Replacement carb: 27415-99a

Question. Can I just plug that line up and put it on my bike? I realize that this may not paint a clear picture. I tried uploading photos, but no luck. ANy help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How does one go about capping or sealing it. It is actually a plastic to brass fitting (like the fuel line) that is pushed into the cast body of the carb. Is there something that is made for this task?

Ok. Done. Another question......its jetted main 190 and pilot 48. The idle mixture screw is 2 and a half turns out. All I have for mods (I think) are screaming eagle slip ons. This seems like a pretty rich mix. Bike runs good, just a little pop on decel. Mileage seems pretty good too at around 40 mpg.

Ok. Done. Another question......its jetted main 190 and pilot 48. The idle mixture screw is 2 and a half turns out. All I have for mods (I think) are screaming eagle slip ons. This seems like a pretty rich mix. Bike runs good, just a little pop on decel. Mileage seems pretty good too at around 40 mpg.

Thats the exact same setup I have on my 2000 FLSTC. 190, 48, and about 2 1/2 turns out. Bike runs great. I'd rather be a little rich than a little lean. Keeps the motor cooler too. And in the heat we've been having lately, anything to keep it cooler is a good thing. Gonna hit 104* today. 3 weeks straight over 100* everyday and no relief in sight. How's the weather in Vegas??? I'm taking my twin daughters there next month. :newsmile093:
I also put the two little #4 washers under the needle. It's more responsive that way. Have you tried that yet??? I'm also getting about 40 mpg on the highway.

Mileage seems pretty good too at around 40 mpg.

Either you have been riding with a ported vacuum port wide open or sometime between 1:20 AM and now you have already conducted a fuel mileage test on you bike and have come up knowing it's 40 MPG?

How do you already know your getting 40 MPG. The mileage will change DRASTICALLY with the port now covered.

Glazier,
The weather out here has been kind of muggy, but thats pretty typical for july in Las Vegas. They call it "monsoon season." Short, intense rainfall. When I say "muggy", I mean around 20% which is probably nothing compared to Dallas. Temps are usually high 90's or low 100's. I haven't tried the needles yet, but that is next. The simplcity of EFI is becoming pretty appealing.

Either you have been riding with a ported vacuum port wide open or sometime between 1:20 AM and now you have already conducted a fuel mileage test on you bike and have come up knowing it's 40 MPG?

How do you already know your getting 40 MPG. The mileage will change DRASTICALLY with the port now covered.

I failed to tell you that I did not change out the carb. I stayed with the old one and rebuilt it. I actually JB welded the post that forms one side of the hinge for the float (the reason I was changing it in the first place). I cant believe that it actually worked. It seemed a waste to throw away a practically new carb because of one little piece of pot metal. The mileage figures are what I have always gotten with this carb. I was just curious as to what others had experienced with these jet configurations. Im still trying to find a sweet spot. I changed the intake gaskets too and we will see of that helps with the decel pops. Sorry for the misunderstading. You guys are a great help.

Better be careful relying on JB Weld. If that post breaks loose, your float will drop, needle valve won't seal into the jet, and you'll also have the little post or pieces of JB Weld floating around in your carb looking for places to get into the motor, or at the least, clogging up the jets.

When did 20% humidity become "muggy"??? :laugh

Back