free website stats program Car tires on bikes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Car tires on bikes

Don't knock it unless you've tried it. I put 20,000 miles on a Dunlop SP5000 on my previous bike. My bike handled just fine, even in the twisties, and if the roads were wet it threw a gnarly rooster tail.

This is nothing new, it's been going on for years.

Not in the debate just wondering if my memory has failed me again.In days gone by weren't car tires and motorcycle tires alike or almost alike.I had a 48 and a 56 pan head and the best I can remember the tires looked more like car tires.I bought tires from HD dealer but I don't remember them looking like mc tires of today.

Don't knock it unless you've tried it. I put 20,000 miles on a Dunlop SP5000 on my previous bike. My bike handled just fine, even in the twisties, and if the roads were wet it threw a gnarly rooster tail.

This is nothing new, it's been going on for years.

I said I was done here but as I said, only those who "have not" tried it will come out against it.

Not in the debate just wondering if my memory has failed me again.In days gone by weren't car tires and motorcycle tires alike or almost alike.I had a 48 and a 56 pan head and the best I can remember the tires looked more like car tires.I bought tires from HD dealer but I don't remember them looking like mc tires of today.

Biased ply construction in the day they did look similar, that said the industry has certainly changed

Very interesting material in both links, however, I think I am more confused than ever. If the CT are softer and motorcycles apply higher (more concentrated) loads to the tires why don't the CTs wear faster than MTs? There must be more to this issue. What am I missing?

Look at the tracking of a car to a bike

I have been running a car tire on my bikes on the rear for over fifteen years, Never had anything go wrong, got over 44 thousand miles on my softail. I love them handles great ,

Strange, I sure don't know any of these answers...video looks good on the straight but a little light on the turns??? but i have not watched a film of the MC tire in same travel...would like to see video clip with both to compare...seems like there would be more drag too??? better stopping but worse mileage (fuel) be my thought....

I will stick to a multi compound motorcycle tire on my ride, hard compound in the centre for wear and softer compounds throughout the perimeter of the tire to keep them sticky in the corners.

Back