free website stats program Car tires on bikes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Car tires on bikes

Heard and seen a few riders go to "the Darkside" and it's mostly for cost. You can get a decent cart tire for under $100 and it lasts for 30K - 40K miles vs. $100+, but only getting 10K - 15K miles.

Softer rubber? Really? I thought that was the given reason for shorter MC tire life? That they used softer compounds because cornering grip is so important in a MC application?

Yes softer, you will find lots of anti-car post out there but very seldom if ever from someone who has actually tried them. I have used them in the past and would now if they made one that would fit my ride. As far as softness goes here is a link but I expect some will try to say it doesn't mean anything as CT discussions tend to get very opinionated.

durometer - Durometer Test on 205 and Dunnie...(Pics Added)

Thanks Tank, the link was very interesting. But I will state that when they are referring to 45-50 degree angles that it has no relevance to Harleys or any other Cruiser or Touring bike. I for one would not even consider a car tire on a "Sport" bike but considering the "limitations" of most Harleys it is worth consideration. If you do research you will find that most riders that have gone to the "dark side" will not even consider going back to M/T's. And that to me is much more compelling than believing in the opinions of naysayers that have not tried it. I know how controversial this subject can get so I am done.

Thanks Tank, the link was very interesting. But I will state that when they are referring to 45-50 degree angles that it has no relevance to Harleys or any other Cruiser or Touring bike. I for one would not even consider a car tire on a "Sport" bike but considering the "limitations" of most Harleys it is worth consideration. If you do research you will find that most riders that have gone to the "dark side" will not even consider going back to M/T's. And that to me is much more compelling than believing in the opinions of naysayers that have not tried it. I know how controversial this subject can get so I am done.

Look at the link in my previous response.The have a list of acceptable substituting sizes for a wide range of motorcycles.

Very interesting material in both links, however, I think I am more confused than ever. If the CT are softer and motorcycles apply higher (more concentrated) loads to the tires why don't the CTs wear faster than MTs? There must be more to this issue. What am I missing?

Very interesting material in both links, however, I think I am more confused than ever. If the CT are softer and motorcycles apply higher (more concentrated) loads to the tires why don't the CTs wear faster than MTs? There must be more to this issue. What am I missing?

I would think do to the load carrying capability of a car tire versus a 800 pound Harley is the reason car tire last so long. I looked at a Michlen tire last night that was rated at 3,984 pounds load capacity per each tire.

The design of a car tire vs. a bike tire is completely different. Sidewalls are not constructed the same , neither is the tread area. I wouldn't recommend running a car tire. It's like some people that know better than the manufacturer with different products but have no basis for their decision at all other than "just wanting to do it". Mileage may be higher but the safety factor diminishes.

I think this hits the nail on the head. It seems that there was something on a post from years back on the bead on the CT was not the same as the bead on a MT. Can anyone who has done this offer testing results from the automotive tire industry, or show any automotive tire manufacturer that recommends this. It seems that if the auto industry could sell more tires they would jump at the chance.

I think this hits the nail on the head. It seems that there was something on a post from years back on the bead on the CT was not the same as the bead on a MT. Can anyone who has done this offer testing results from the automotive tire industry, or show any automotive tire manufacturer that recommends this. It seems that if the auto industry could sell more tires they would jump at the chance.

From a liabilty stand point I would think the CT manufactures would want no part of it.....

Back