free website stats program Car tires for the fatboy... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Car tires for the fatboy...

I've been running car tires on the rear of my 08 for about 50K miles. In the rain is where it really shines. The worse the weather, the better the it gets. Though it isn't for everyone, it is something you have to try to be able to form an informed opinion. And yes, I can still drag pegs in the curves.

And you are using the OE wheel ???? I thought to safely mount a car tire on a rim you needed at least 5-6" of width. What size car tire is used to accommodate the OE environment of a Harley's rear and swing arm?

I've been running car tires on the rear of my 08 for about 50K miles. In the rain is where it really shines. The worse the weather, the better the it gets. Though it isn't for everyone, it is something you have to try to be able to form an informed opinion. And yes, I can still drag pegs in the curves.

Well obviously the harder rubber of car tires is what's getting you 50k miles which is unheard of for bike tires. I'm guessing it's the edge tread that making up for the harder rubber.

And you are using the OE wheel ???? I thought to safely mount a car tire on a rim you needed at least 5-6" of width. What size car tire is used to accommodate the OE environment of a Harley's rear and swing arm?

I would like to know this too. I'd like to take a look at the tread.

Hi....Can you post some piks on your album ?...May I ask what is the reason you run car tires?....Also ..Welcome aboard..:D

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I run a car tire mostly because I was tired (no pun intended) of replacing the rear tire every 3-4 months.The best I ever got out of a 200 was about 7K. It wasn't until after I tried it that I found out how well it works in really bad weather.... and thanks for the welcome.

My stock tire was a 200/55R17 and the OE wheel works great with a P205/50R17 car tire. The tire clears the belt with no problems. It was basically a direct fit. I do all my own wrenching and tires so I figured I'd give it a shot and if I didn't like it I wasn't out anything except the cost of the tire.
It isn't something for everyone but it does work well and doesn't result in the typically predicted "fiery crash".

Well obviously the harder rubber of car tires is what's getting you 50k miles which is unheard of for bike tires. I'm guessing it's the edge tread that making up for the harder rubber.

I would like to know this too. I'd like to take a look at the tread.

Actually, a Durometer test shows the rubber in a car tire is softer than that of a typical street motorcycle tire. I got about 30K from the first tire and expect about the same from this one. I'm currently running a Sumitomo HRZ-II. The water shedding ability is my primary concern and this one does that very well.
I also tend to ride on some (many) very poorly maintained roads, most consisting of a mixture of broken asphalt and gravel/dirt. I probably should be running knobbies instead.

Let me see if I can find some pics......

Let's try this again.....

012410_Bike_Trip_Storm_Damage006.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpg

To each their own I suppose. You'd think if motorcycles could be designed for automotive tires, they would. Maybe it's a big conspiracy from the manufacturers to keep sales of low mileage performance motorcycle tires and stimulate a poor economy?

In any event, I understand the motivation from a cost of replacement standpoint. From what I understand many of those running automotive tires increase the tire pressure to help break them in.

At the end of the day, if your only running 5k to 10k mileage out of the rear of your motorcycle tires, I'd imagine you're enjoying your bike very much. And the cost of replacement is pretty cheap entertainment for those miles. Peace of mind is priceless. JMO of course. Not a knock on those doing it.

Cheers.

Cost wasn't really a factor for myself. If it hadn't been a direct swap I probably wouldn't have tried it either.

I have talked to many people with a 200 stock rear tire and none of them have ever gotten any decent milage out of a 200. It seems the 180 gets much better milage. Don't know why.
One of the things I like is the "plugability" of a C/T. While on a trip this can be a big deal.

Put a CT on My Fat bob and love it, traction is unbelievable. Just a little harder to get it to start to lean from the top. and as far as all the videos go and everyone saying how little contact there is in a corner, take a look at a bike tire close up and see how much on a contact patch you use in the corner, lean the bike over and look.:newsmile011: ride it the way you want.

Back