free website stats program car oil vs bike oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

car oil vs bike oil

Daughters car used 1qt to about 1000-1200 miles. Started using oil around 100,000 miles.
At 110,000 cat plugged up and set code. Had a hi-flo cat put on, bigger holes in cat, and changed to 10W40 oil, so far good results. Oil use is down to around 3/4 qt at 2000 miles. It doesn't take alot to plug a cat.
Was just stating why EPA had the ZDDP taken out.

Oil will continue to evolve, more additives less oil. Best bet is synthetic, its here to stay and has proven itself

He must ride a different harley than I do Unless it been changed over to a dry primary it has a wet clutch.

I think he was refering to the fact that the engine oil does not affect the clutch because its in its own compartment and has its own oil supply unlike most metric bikes that have engine tranny and clutch in one compartment using the same engine oil for lubrication

Brian

REDLINE engine OIL I use: API SM/SL/SJ/SH/SG/CF this is the thing to look for on your oil container to SEE IF it complies for use...

REDLINE 20/50 syn MY particular oil uses the BEST polyol ester basestock..
IT IS RATED at a # 5

Comparing Redline to another GOOD syn engine oil: Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50
IT IS RATED as a # 4

Where do you get the #4 and #5 from? I would like to read into this!]

He must ride a different harley than I do Unless it been changed over to a dry primary it has a wet clutch.

SMITTY
I think the post you quoted MEANT: that the wet clutch is NOT IN the motor part(separate not a part of engine oil)....

WHO KNOWS "hear say" gets confusing

JUST reading on my 20/50 FULL syn. REDLINE oil, that IT CAN be used in wet clutch applications. and ALSO recommends NOT to use until 3000 mi.

I will just stick to what has worked for ME....

signed....BUBBIE.

REDLINE engine OIL I use: API SM/SL/SJ/SH/SG/CF this is the thing to look for on your oil container to SEE IF it complies for use...

REDLINE 20/50 syn MY particular oil uses the BEST polyol ester basestock..
IT IS RATED at a # 5

Comparing Redline to another GOOD syn engine oil: Mobil 1 V-twin 20/50
IT IS RATED as a # 4

Where do you get the #4 and #5 from? I would like to read into this!]

THIS WAS SOMETHING GLIDER POSTED AND IT WAS IN PRINT...

WE'LL HOPE HE IS ON THE JOB AND CAN POST THE INFORMATION..... as he stated Redline was a 5 and mobil was a 4....... 5 being the highest

(can be used in a turbo heat engine)

GLIDER, CAN YOU FIND THE INFORMATION PLEASE AND POST? THANKS

signed....BUBBIE

I am make no claim to be an oil expert, but I do read...A LOT. Motorcycle oils are given an MA rating, by the Motorcycle Manufacturers' in concert with API and other consortium's or bodies that control oil standards, so I am inclined to believe that motorcycle oil requirements have different needs, as this was started long ago when most all manufacturers were running air and oil cooled bikes.

That said, modern oils have a majority of additives to meet modern requirements and yes the EPA has been involved in limiting things that are harmful to the environ, so branching away from optimum oil for air/oil cooled designs has occurred, I think HD is probably one of the ONLY manufacturers still running Air/Oil cooled designs still trying to extract every bit of torque and power out of the "aged design". Do you want an oil MADE for air/oil cooled design or one made for controlled temperature range water cooled designs of today's modern cars and trucks vs. all the rest...your ride, you decide; I go with manufacturer recommendations and minimum MA rating on any oil I put into my bike...JMHO.

ay...
On this side of the pond,miobile v twin is like chickens teeth.We're swimming in RED LINE by comparison....not putting you down or anything Bubbie,just thought I'd mention it....wierd tho huh?Is RED LINE made in the USA???

But don't let that sell mobil 1 short as Redline is harder to find and mobil 1 V-twin easier on availability.

SO,,,,, ON GOES THE OIL BEBATE .............

signed....BUBBIE[/QUOTE]

THIS WAS SOMETHING GLIDER POSTED AND IT WAS IN PRINT...

WE'LL HOPE HE IS ON THE JOB AND CAN POST THE INFORMATION..... as he stated Redline was a 5 and mobil was a 4....... 5 being the highest

(can be used in a turbo heat engine)

GLIDER, CAN YOU FIND THE INFORMATION PLEASE AND POST? THANKS

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie

You are a snowball maker, why don't you find it and post it for us? :D

In all seriousness, please restrict the use of the "CAPS" in your posts.

Thanks

Oil Groups Explained - Harley Davidson Community

Re: car oil vs bike oil 2

My point last time was not to be cheap and save a few bucks.
I think we have all seen how various companies try to market products as something great to demand a higher price for it.

My question, more specifically is,

what exactly is in vtwin air cooled oil that makes it better.

Just trying to understand the science of oil.

Thanks
I would suggest you go to several oil websites starting with Spectro and see what they have to say about their oil. You will have to evaluate what you read and then judge for yourself what will be the best in YOUR mind. I would just go with Spectro Platinum 20-50 engine oil and then use Spectro 6 speed gear oil and Spectro primary. Not necessary to make this too difficult. Another option would be Mobil 1 V-Twin, Redline for tranny and HD for primary. Make a choice and ride that Harley!

Back