free website stats program Can't shift into gear | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't shift into gear

More forensics for you. I took the time to inspect the rear pulley a little closer and here's what I found: See the scuff marks on the left side of the teeth? Does that look like a rock was getting tossed around in there?

DSC_1641.jpg
[/IMG]

FROM THE LOOKS OF THE PICTS YOU SHOWED BEFORE OF THE BELT. I WOULD GUESS IT IS BROKEN FROM THE TWIST OF THE RIGHT HAND...

YOU may ride EASY and if you do I'm probably WRONG then.....
I'm not suggesting anything BAD about ANYBODIES riding style....... When I'm on my sport 1200, I cut it LOOSE and go......

MIND YOU, a belt that is 3/4 of an inch is TOO MUCH undersized and weak in my BOOK to start with......

A friend has a 3/4 in belt that he put on so a bigger back tire could be used. IT TAKES MORE POWER TO MAKE HIS BIG TIRE SPIN AND now goes thru a belt quite regular....

WHAT style rider are you?
HOT/MEDIUN/NORMAL or what ever normal is?

Never asked you? also how long have you owned the bike?

I also would check prices at a couple of places for belt and repair as they may differ quite a bit..

a chip of rock or gravel can do such a little damage and it would only show up AS THE BELT BROKE and leave NO telltale evidence...

The new belt should go further if careful of gravel and keep tension correct.

signed....BUBBIE

That very well may be true. There are several variables involved.

When I purchased my bike new I noted that the belt did hug the outside of the pulley. Never gave it much thought and figured the rear wheel had to be perfect from the factory.
I needed to replace my rear tire but before I loosened anything up, I measured the rear wheel position and found the axle was .030" further forward on left side than right side. The max allowable per HD is .030" from right to left.

Installed a new rear tire and made a special tool to align rear axle to within .005". That is to say my rear AXLE is true to the rear FORK to .005". (Not saying my rear wheel is true to frame or true to front tire within .005". Just saying rear axle is true to rear fork within .005")

Now when I roll forward, I can see metal on each side of the belt. It is no where near dead center tracking but belt no longer hugs one side lip.
.025" in axle shift did make a difference for me.

Had a problem with an old Sturgis belt drive, I finally used a dial indicator to get her tracking right, it takes a little time but it solved the problem. I think Harley was going through growing pains in the early days of belts

Back