free website stats program Can't shift into gear | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't shift into gear

You mean an extended warranty would cover the belt or just if you proved it was a defective belt?

Doesn't extended warranty cover belts? I have seen members say it covered their tire replacement. I am just guessing it would also cover the belt.
I don't have extended warranty on my bike because I still have a year to go.

I may be totally wrong on what extended warranty covers.

It may be the pictures or my eyes but your belt looks to be only about 3/4" inch wide. How wide is your belt?

Good eyes
DSC_1638Large.jpg
[/IMG]

And if there is a bend in the flange, would that account for the wear only extending along a 10" span of the belt? I guess if the rotation of the wheel consistently strikes only the same area of the belt with each go-around.

Trying to get a flat belt to track perfectly down a pulley requires almost perfection in parts. I would guess most belts hug one side of a pulley or the other. There are just too many variables involved. It would be Great to have it ride true and center but I think that happens only with few cases.

I am curious to see what others say about their belt tracking.

Trying to get a flat belt to track perfectly down a pulley requires almost perfection in parts. I would guess most belts hug one side of a pulley or the other. There are just too many variables involved. It would be Great to have it ride true and center but I think that happens only with few cases.

I am curious to see what others say about their belt tracking.

HOOPLE, I set mine up to do what I call perfect.... I do take the time to MAKE SURE it tracks perfectly spinning FOWARD, the way of travel the bike GOES... AND TENSIONED properly
I have watched a friend turning/truing his belt, checking it at many points and tightness was ALL perfect BUT turning the tire BACKWARDS (wrong way) and when it goes forward, it LOST that PERFECT TRAVEL he took the time to achieve..

I don't know if perfect is needed BUT CLOSE IS......

SIDE NOTE:::::: a 3/4 " belt and all that YOUNG POWER in the right hand = many belts to replace....

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, How do you get the belt to track perfect and at the same time keep your rear wheel tracking perfect to center line of frame.?

I adjusted my rear wheel/tire to track perfect with center line of frame. At that point can I change belt tracking without affecting wheel position? I thought there was not much you can do to change it.

Bubbie, How do you get the belt to track perfect and at the same time keep your rear wheel tracking perfect to center line of frame.?

I adjusted my rear wheel/tire to track perfect with center line of frame. At that point can I change belt tracking without affecting wheel position? I thought there was not much you can do to change it.

IT IS SUCH A CLOSE AMOUNT FOR THE BELT TO TRACK and the tire/wheel a larger amount....
I just do the belt and leave tire/wheel where thy DO run and that is VERY CLOSE..... the tire is a lot easier to replace and the belt?.....???????
a lot depends on HOW LUCKY you were on the draw........ frame straight and perfectly true. wheel and tire aligned with the belt..

I don't know if the new bikes(my 09) ALLOW for any adjustment OUT OF what HD calls PLUM/true with the SOLID adjustment PRE SET and tightness the only thing you can adjust...
OR is that true?

signed....BUBBIE

a lot depends on HOW LUCKY you were on the draw........ frame straight and perfectly true. wheel and tire aligned with the belt..

signed....BUBBIE

That very well may be true. There are several variables involved.

When I purchased my bike new I noted that the belt did hug the outside of the pulley. Never gave it much thought and figured the rear wheel had to be perfect from the factory.
I needed to replace my rear tire but before I loosened anything up, I measured the rear wheel position and found the axle was .030" further forward on left side than right side. The max allowable per HD is .030" from right to left.

Installed a new rear tire and made a special tool to align rear axle to within .005". That is to say my rear AXLE is true to the rear FORK to .005". (Not saying my rear wheel is true to frame or true to front tire within .005". Just saying rear axle is true to rear fork within .005")

Now when I roll forward, I can see metal on each side of the belt. It is no where near dead center tracking but belt no longer hugs one side lip.
.025" in axle shift did make a difference for me.

HOOPLE, that is what I call perfect! Running in the center, with slight space on the right and the left is the "SWEET SPOT".... YOU got it!
signed....BUBBIE

Back