free website stats program Cant seem to hold a line?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cant seem to hold a line??

Countersteering has nothing to do with it holding a straight line. Where the bars are positioned shouldn't make a difference. The bike should go straight on its own with no input from you through the bars. You should be able to take your hands off the bars and it should track straight, provided you're on a decent patch of road.

As far as rake is concerned, a little rake actually helps them go down the road straighter, at a sacrifice of being less nimble in turns. So, I'm not sure if your concern over rake is an issue either. But to cure your curiosity, there are plenty of sites that show pictures of how to measure your trail. Rake affects your trail, which can mess up the handling characteristics if it's too much. Not bad to know considering you're riding a bike that has some front end changes.

The scary thing is you say it was a repo. Do you know if the bike was whacked, not fixed properly, and then the owner LET it get repo'd because he knew it wasn't fixed right? Have you messed around with aligning it?

Last edited:
Yes, I dont think that the position of the bars have anything to do with it. I have been fighting this and have had the bars in several positions. I just moved them up this week. As far as handling in the turns, I can deal with that, its just the rolling in a straight line without fighting it. I can really wear you down on a long ride. Never can just relax and roll, know what I am saying? I think SlimJim has made very valid points. I am fairly positive the bike hasnt been wrecked but I have not messed around with aligning it. I want to try to get this fixed before mid May so I can go to the Smokeout in Rockingham. Im gonna check some of the things that you guys have mentioned this weekend. Any more input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Shady1324

Hey guys! Well did some work on the bike this weekend and this is what I have come up with (or not come up with)! After filling the Front end nipple on the frame full of grease, I did the fall away test and it was just about perfect to what the manual says it should be. The alignment looked pretty good but we did find that the bearings in the front wheel could use replacing. Once on the stand and front wheel up and free. You can grab the top of the wheel and bottom of the wheel and feel about an 1/8 inch of "tick tock" play in it. That tells me the front wheel bearings could us replacing. Also when doing fall away test, you could feel a hitch in one spot while it fell to one side, like maybe the bearings in the front end has a bad spot in it somewhere. I am going to replace these bearings but even the guy that helped me with the testing says he doesnt think that is source of my problem. He feels that the way the bike has been lowered so much in the back, the front end is out there with no weight on it. The back end is so "squatted" that there is no stability in the front end. I dont know how much of this you can see from the pic but i want to replace the rear shock studs because by looking at them, the prior owner has really lowered the bike and put longer stud in. The problem of not holding a line is something that i could ultimately deal with but i think it is something that could be fixed. I would much rather have it rolling in a true straight line and not have to fight it from weaving from one side to the other. Any more suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks again guys!

Shady!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two issues possibly. The lowering of the rear of the bike will change the geometry in the front end and could give you a problem in itself.
The other is the hitch in the swing when doing the front end. The bearings take a pounding when driving straight down the road all the time and as a result can develop indentations in the race where the balls sit in the race constantly.
May want to consider new bearings and races.

Hey guys! Raised my bike last night about 2-3 inches. Just shortened the suspension bolts going back to the rear. They were obviously aftermarket and were put on by previous owner to slam it to the ground! Rode it to work today and the ride is so much better! I am not feeling all the bumps in the road, like I am floating down the road! The bike seems to hold its line to problem, not fighting it at all. Check the pic out at the beginning of this thread and this one. Some of the guys thinks it looks better now! Thanks to Glider and all you guys for posting your thoughts! RIght it time for riding weather Too! Awesome! Thanks again!! :small3d026:

The way the bike is laying on kickstand on the opposite side makes it look a bit higher than it is. Once stood up and level, its not bad at all. Quite comfortable I must say!

Attachments

• bike raised.jpg
    bike raised.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 51
It depends on how the bike was raked. If the rake was added to the neck, you should be fine, but by the picture, it looks like they just added raked triple trees. This is very bad as you loose your trail, and stability, and can be very dangerous.
Here is a link that explains it, and there are many more that you can Google.
bikernet-dot-com/garage/rakedtrees.asp
Raked Triple Trees--Ya Gotta Be Kidding!

I can't post the link because my post count isn't high enough yet, so you will have to re-type the URL into your browser.

Stubby

First thing, check for loose hardware in your triple trees. Check your steering nut for being loose. Get someone to check for frame alighnment. Lots of luck Mckey

In your manual they should cover aligning the bike front to back, not just fiddling with the front end. Based on the fact that the bike has been tampered with by the previous owner, I would not ASSUME anything. Go through the process of at least checking for alignment. If the rear wheel is trying to run you crabbed down the road, you will have a fight on your hands!!

TQ

After riding more this weekend I have realized that the comfort of the ride is incredibly better since i raised the bike. I still have a problem of the "fighting the line" when going down the road. My buddy sat on my bike and said something about my headlight being a little off center and he adjusted it while sitting on it centering the bars. When i got to riding again, I noticed that when going perfectly striaght the headlight looked cocked a bit to the right and as I looked back and took in the whole picture, the bottom of my bars are tilted a few degrees to the right when riding straight ahead. The plate that attaches your bars isnt sitting perfectly straight/parrallel to the ground. I seriously need to look at this and see whats causing it. I again appreciate all the post on this. I just want my scoot rolling true! I may go home and post a few pics so you guys can see what i am talking about. Ill keep you posted on what i find! Thanks guys!!

Ok guys! After taking the bike to a certified mechanic, here is what I am being told. Want your opinion on this!

He first checked all the alignment and it was all perfect. When he went to check the "trail", it turns out I have negative 4 inches trial. I have done some research on this and from what I have read, this is very dangerous. He took my bike down the road and he doesnt see how i ride it. He said the guy that did this to the bike did not do it correctly, instead of cutting the frame and welding it back, someone just put forked triple trees and the angle of the sleeve on the frame remains stock! This isnt good. Its gonna be a expensive fix and he did not recommend that I ride it until its fixed. This is why i cant hold a line and "wobble/sway" up and down the road. Has anyone ran across this before and what are my option. Have him alter the frame? I dont know! Thanks ahead of time for your input! Errrrrrrr. So fustrating!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
TQuintin is dead on & I'll tell ya why.

1. The lowered rear was one issue that can severely change your Rake and Trail Geometry, I know, I run with an air ride system on my bike and the handling is drastically different when lowered. If you like the slammed look I'd suggest a Legend Air ride system. Compromising hadling will get you dead quick

2. Choppers are chopped to handle the extension of the front forks not always by rake but by raising the neck which stabalizes the trail of the Front tire. Although some bikes do have some radical rake the experience the same isues you do.

The raked tripple trees and apes are cool looking indeed but if you want them there is not much you can do. The Geometry and Mechanics don't jive. I've built a couple choppers and show bikes and that is all they are. A bar hopper only. Performance for looks is always a compromise when doing custom work. If you want to ride more you will have to compromise or do the work rite. There are many products out there that will give you the ridable custom your looking for.

Be safe

Back