can't scrub no more!(how do you clean fatboy rims)

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by phatboy677, Sep 18, 2008.

1. phatboy677

phatboy677 Member

first and foremost i want to say hi and that i'm glad i found this place! i've already had some questions answered by surfing through here. i'm a recent convert to HARLEY DAVIDSON and and i can't remember what life was like before. anyhow, to my problem... i just bought a 1997 fatboy in overall good shape except that i don't think the wheels have been cleaned in 11 years. i've used about 5 different products and nothing even begins to crack into the grime. it seems to be mostly years of baked on brake dust, road crap, sap and anything else you'd ever come across. any suggestions? thanks in advance for any help given.

2. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Speaking about keeping aluminum casting(s) clean, what about cast aluminum casing (I like the clean pale grey look, but even when doing oil changes, it is very hard to "bring it back". Also the lower fork area (seems they have a clear coat that wears or dis-colors slightly yellow? w/ sun and time), should we attempt to remove the clear coat and use some sort of Clear Kote or such?:25:

3. phatboy677

phatboy677 Member

thanks for the help everyone. the s100 didn't do a whole lot so i'm gonna try one of the other suggestions.