free website stats program Can't remove Floorboard Bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't remove Floorboard Bolts

Kente

2012 Swithcback. Trying to remove floorboard bolts to install a Lindby highway bar. Can't loosen them without stripping the Torqs heads. Was able to get one out by drilling into the head, thus loosening the bolt enough to get it out but this isn't a satisfying way to remove new bolts on a new machine. There appears to be some loctite like substance on the bolt I removed but it isn't blue or red, it is kind of grey.

Does anyone have experience with this? If it is thread locking compound is there a way to get the bolts out without drilling?

Cant cofirm if it is loctite or not but if it is. Some heat applied to the bolt should get them to break loose for you.

Welcome to the Forum!

Or put the torx tip in the bolt and give it a few solid shots with a hammer. That usually loosens up stuck bolts. Just don't miss. Try some PB Blaster too, if you have it handy. Spray it on and let it sit a few minutes. You shouldn't have to be drilling out bolts on a bike that's still fairly new.

This is a 2012 model? I would swing by the dealer and have them crack them loose for you

A bit of heat on the bolts should make any thread lock liquid and a hand impact driver should break the bolts free

Brian

I suppose that the heat option involves a propane torch? Makes me a little nervous. I don't think an electric heat gun would provide enough heat.

I suppose that the heat option involves a propane torch? Makes me a little nervous. I don't think an electric heat gun would provide enough heat.

A heat gun or blow dryer should get you hot enough, give the bolts a good whack with an impact driver put some anti sieze on the end of the torx bit for a positive lock to the bolt head

A hand impact driver can't be beat when trying to loosen hardware on old bikes and new. One of the best tool buys you'll make and they last forever.
:)

Great advice. I have a heat gun and a hand impact driver so I'll try that approach and report back.

I'm not at all familiar with the Switchback or footboard mounts. What size torx are they? I'd imagine larger than 30, but if smaller, a #25 almost feels like a proper fit in a#27.

Back