free website stats program Can't remember the wreck | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't remember the wreck

I'm glad to hear your on the mend with I hope a complete recovery. In a way I understand your wife's thinking but has anyone ever quite driving a car or truck after an accident? Probably not. Don't know why a bike should be different. We all gotta go somehow and my wife knows if I bite the big one on the bike, I'll have died a happy man.

Thanks guys all good comments and appreciate the beet wishes. BossMan you are exactly right i have gone to the accident sight and set and studied the touraine, watched the traffic, looked at the signage for intersecting roads trying to understand what happened. I also thought it might bring a memory or two back but no luck so far. Yes i do lay awake at night wondering if i may have done something stupid causing the accident. I can't imagine it being anything else because i can't imagine someone forcing me off the shoulder and leaving me there.

Hate to say it but you may never know. Been there done that one. You'll have to find away to just let it go.
Your wife will do same as mine everytime I get a new ride she adds to the life insurance.

Another thing to think about, as your location isn't stated, is heat exhaustion, this can cause you to pass out. How hot and very important what was the humidity like?

I am inclined to go with Poohbear on this one only because 1) I am, like you an optimist and would think most motorists even cagers are inherently good.,:57: 2) Like Smitty being a pragmatist and "officer on deck", his wife understanding but guarded knowing that you are accepting risk on her behalf, :gh 3) PB like me being one having been on a long solitary ride in the middle of nowhere in my earlier youth, on a hot afternoon...knowing how EASY it is to get complacent and could pass out due to heat exhaustion...having decided to push on rather than stop and rest...not thinking of the consequences --in the stupor of a great ride and not paying attention for that brief moment...! :newsmile017:

Last edited:
Give your wife some time and understand her pain. Hope you heal well.

This is the key for me. First off let me say get well and good luck on the recovery.

Second let me say...you must understand how your wife feels nearly having her husband killed on a motorcycle. Her feelings are injured more than your body is right now. You will probably have to give this some time and remember that riding a motorcycle is great...but a loving wife with wounded feelings needs time to heel.

When you're ready to get back on is completely different than your wife being ready for you to.

Again, good luck and a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear about your wreck and my prayers go out to you for a fast recovery. I have to agree with what everyone said here. Give the wife time to heal, try not ot talk about it too much until you are actually getting near the time to ride and even after that you probably still want to give her a little more time, but express your desire to ride.

I've only been riding for 3 years now myself, no wrecks Praise the Lord, but I rode my bike to work last year and while at work passed out (heart malfunciton, required 4 shocks to stabilize me). I say that cause my wife and families concern following it was the fact that this could have happened on my bike, which could have been a lot worse, much like what you are going through. That happened in April, 1-month of recovery and then another month just home helping out. I made a agreement that I would not ride till next year, just to ease her. Well after 3-months, I could not take it anymore, so I started planting seeds, then got to the point of taking it out for a quick run once and a while...by Aug/Sept I really wanted to ride, so I managed to get a few days back in the saddle to work, but not too much. Now 2010, I'm back on it just about everyday to work, weather permitting.

It took me some time, but my wife knows I love riding and understood it was not something I was going to let go easy. :D

Just thank god you are on this side of the grass. I had a wreck years ago in Guam, USA. A lady hit me head on, on my side of the road. Guess I was lucky as I only had a shattered left elbow and broken arm just above the elbow. All I can remember is that it should have been Sunday and I was on my way home from the races. The front wheel was pushed up into the motor and the handlebars bent around in front of the head light, gas tank all bent in. Woke up in the hospital wondering why I was their. Never have remembered any move about the accident. Just learned to live without that day.
God bless you and a speedy recovery.

Best of luck to you. Hope you have a speedy recovery and all goes well. Take it slow. Your guardian angel was watching over you. I would not push to hard and have alot of understanding on your part and your wife. Hopefully time will heal and you will back on 2 wheels again.

Tippy
your misfortune sounds almost exactly like a buddies and as best anyone knows he passed out due to heat exhaustion. life flight into icu and was there for 5 weeks with collapsed lung, 11 broken ribs, cracked sternum, plus pelvis and kidney damage. Once he was up and coherent one of his first comments was that he needed to fix his bike and wanted to go home. his wife just looked at me and said "i know i cant stop him and i wont try but he is going to get in A1 health before he rides". (he was on a serious diet and not taking any vitamins)
he had just talked his wife into riding and bought her a bike a few days prior to his accident and she still intends to ride with him
Since there were no cages involved and there was no mechanical failure and it was put down to a heat exhaustion, he will not be riding on those really hot days anymore.
there is a link on here on HDtalking this but i am too inexperienced to figure out how to link it to this post.
my wife had a bit of a party when i got rid of my last bike, then i got my 98 softail and she wants me to ride every day. says i am better to get along with after a ride.

Good luck and the best on your recovery

Glade your here to tell us that.

Been two years since I woke up in the trama center of the Med in memphis. I don't remember a thing except I hurt like a mother and my Low Rider was totaled. Probably never will. I don't even remember the truck that turned left in front of me.

When I finally came back to earth my wife asked me what kind of truck I would buy with the settlement.

I told her a Harley.

Live to Ride

Back