can't locate my vin on frame

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by greenchopper, Apr 21, 2009.

1. greenchopper

greenchopper Member

I have a 76 superglide shovelhead with a factory base frame and aftermarket chopper neck. Can anyone tell me where in 76 the vin number should be stamped in frame? I just traded by vette for this bike and it has an out of state title (PA). I am in Ohio and afraid I am going to have issues transferring title now. Thanks! Greg

2. dlao

dlao Member

vin should be on the title or a registration card if you can't find it on the bike

3. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

On the neck

4. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

The vin was also stamped on the forward frame brace

5. peteG30

peteG30 Member

On my 1976 FXE it was stamped in the neck but couldn't hardly read it because the frame was powder coated.
    here is a pic of my superglide

Attached Files:

• 76.jpg
      76.jpg
      File size:
      56.4 KB
      Views:
  6. greenchopper

greenchopper Member

thank!
    My Engine vin matches my title but my frame has been modified with chopper front half and now has no vin. I am very nervous that when I have it inspected that it might be seized and destroyed. I can just show them the engine vin and take my chances or go the lengthy and also a little risky path of getting a builders title. I love my bike and don't want to lose it!

7. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

You could always buy a set of metal stamps (1/4") and restamp it

8. DDogg

DDogg Junior Member

The engine vin must match the frame vin. If not, your going to have to have the bike re-registered in order to recieve a title. Does your title vin match the engine vin? Then like Steve0 said, get a couple metal stamps and stamp the frame. This is for your piece of mind. If you go to sell her, the next guy might look a little closer at the bike then you did.

9. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

We did this for a friends Sporty.We got a copper plate {stamps very well}, cut it to fit and bonded it to the neck.Using SEM 2 part metal bond, same stuff used to glue quarter panels on in a body shop.A little putty around the edges a quik blend with some black single stage, looked factory.No problem with his re inspection by the DOT.