free website stats program Can't Get Fairing Cap Back On | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Get Fairing Cap Back On

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I'm installing Kuryakyn driving lights on my SG so I had the fairing cap off to wire the lights into a toggle switch. Now I can't get the left side of the cap into position to reinstall it. The ignition switch had to be removed to get the cap off so the forks are locked full left. This eliminates any wiggle room on the left side to get the cap into position and lined up with the hole to insert the screw that holds it. I can get it over the ignition switch stub and get the right side lined up fine but the left side keeps catching on other parts and refuses to move into position.

I keep thinking, "it came off, it must go back on" but so far no luck.

Ideas?

Surely I'm not the first one to encounter this problem.

I'm with you Doc, if it came off it has to go back on. I usually take a walk around the block, count to 10, then when I go back the thing fits right together.

I would have to agree with Chopper, that has worked best for me in the past...just walk away and come back later & things fit back together perfectly....makes me wonder why I 'thought' I had trouble before.

Best of luck & don't forget the pix. :s

I just skimmed thru a couple of the self help tips for ignition removal, and the pictures showed the handlebars in various positions while the switch was out.That would make it easy to align the cap. I didn't read them close enough to find out how to get the forks unlocked, but it must be in there. I know unlocking them messes with the alignment of the switch and requires a homemade tool or fiddling with a screwdriver to get right.

I'm with you Doc, if it came off it has to go back on. I usually take a walk around the block, count to 10, then when I go back the thing fits right together.

I would have to agree with Chopper, that has worked best for me in the past...just walk away and come back later & things fit back together perfectly....makes me wonder why I 'thought' I had trouble before.

Best of luck & don't forget the pix. :s

I "walked around the block" so many times on this one I need new shoes! I'm afraid it's one of those instances where it kind of "popped" out of place and now I'd almost have to break something to get it back properly.

My Service Manual shows an Ignition Switch Alignment Tool which would allow me to move the inner workings of the switch and unlock the forks even with the key part of the switch removed. This would give me SO much more room to work with on the left side. Alas, I cannot find this tool even running the part number through Zanotti's and Chicago HD. Maybe they just don't sell it to the public.

I'll let you know how it turns out and, yes, I'm taking some pictures along the way.

Good luck Doc and don't give up. Hope you're not to the point where you don't force it but get a bigger hammer.

Good luck, I hope the Harley fairy comes by & re-aligns things for you...

I "walked around the block" so many times on this one I need new shoes! I'm afraid it's one of those instances where it kind of "popped" out of place and now I'd almost have to break something to get it back properly.

My Service Manual shows an Ignition Switch Alignment Tool which would allow me to move the inner workings of the switch and unlock the forks even with the key part of the switch removed. This would give me SO much more room to work with on the left side. Alas, I cannot find this tool even running the part number through Zanotti's and Chicago HD. Maybe they just don't sell it to the public.

I'll let you know how it turns out and, yes, I'm taking some pictures along the way.
Better to wear out a pair of shoes then your head banging it against the wall :), George's Garage sells the ignition alignment tool part #659900 but I have never needed it yet (knock on wood). Seems if I remember right, I alway had the bike on a lift when I removed the switch, which means the front wheel was straight foward in the wheel vise when I put the switch in lock position? You might try installing the switch and strighting out the front end, then try removing the switch again? Good luck

That is what I would try (what Chopper said!). Once the forks are straight, it should be easier to put the cap back on, and you will still be able to reinstall the lock (assuming it comes out with the forks in another position besides full left!!).

TQ

Here is the video from the self help area. It shows how to unlock the forks with the ign. switch out. Also briefly shows a tool you can make to operate switch. I think it's about 3/8' tubing smashed flat. Any flat blade that will fit in the hole should work.

Back